PDA

View Full Version : Help - I can't find the park brake adjuster ???

allankennedy
04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm trying to change the rear brake discs (sorry -rotors) on my E34 530i and the shoes inside won't let me pull the rotor off. - Obviously a ridge has formed on the inner edge so the shoes need adjusting off to clear it. I know there is a star wheel adjuster in there somewhere and the book says "45 degrees from the bottom" but I can't find it by peering into the holes and poking around.
Has anyone ele had this problem and how did you get over it ?

Kalevera
04-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Are you sure that the rotor isn't just fused onto the hub? one of my rears was -- I had to attack it with a can of PB Blaster and a hammer...eventually, it came off. It seems kinda crazy that the rotor would have a lip in the hat from the parking brake...unless you've been doing some crazy driving.

Also, you can get some slack into the parking brake by loosening the two bolts on the PB lever (pull the leather cover off -- you probably know this already).

best, whit

allankennedy
04-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks but, no, it isn't a case of being rusted on to the hub - the rotor was already loose in that respect. In the end i got the rotors off by turning the adjusters. I found them when I got a small torch with an intense beam and shone it into the holes. It was interesting to note that the inside of the drum was very very rusty and there was no sign of the sort of wear you normally see in a drum brake. Obviously this is due to the fact that the parking brake is applied only when stationary ( if at all the car being an auto) therefore no friction takes place.