PDA

View Full Version : Question about floor jacks

granit_silber
03-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey Guys,

I got a circular in the mail for a local auto parts chain (O'reilly).

They are offering an AC Delco branded floor jack for 19.99. The jack is rated at 2-tons. Realizing that this jack isn't as pretty as the 199.99 model I saw in a store earlier this month, do you think it will do for now? Is 2-tons enough hutzpah to hold an e34?

They are also offering 2-ton jack stands for 9.99 a piece. Thought I might stock up before the sale ends.

-ashley

Rigmaster
03-31-2005, 11:31 PM
HMM, sounds like the small floor jack + jack stands. I would spend a little more and get a bigger/heavier floor jack. A small 2 ton jack is probably enough to lift the car, but it doesn't give you much capacity to spare. Also keep in mind that not all "2 ton" jacks are created equal. I'm not saying you have to buy one of those $199 jacks- but for ~$50-60 you should be able to get a nice heavy jack- the rating may be 2 tons, or it might be 2.5 or 3 tons. Take a look at the jacks at your local warehouse club store (Sam's, Costco, etc), they usually have what I'm talking about.

As for the jack stands- those you mentioned are probably fine- but take a good look at them to see if they look like they are decently made, some are ALOT better (or worse) than others- even with the same rating + price range.

Do you have a Harbor Freight store nearby?? If so, keep your eyes out for their sale ads, they often have their jacks + tools on sale for 30-50% off their normal prices.
Even if you don't have a HF store nearby, they often have free shipping when you order from their site- not a minor consideration for a 70-80 lb jack.....

Bret.

winfred
03-31-2005, 11:53 PM
the whole car don't weigh 2 tons and you are only picking up one end at a time, so it'll do, a bigger jack is usually easyer to handle and is more stayble

bahnstormer
04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
e34's can only be jacked from 4 points, the stock jack locations....
so having a huge one is no benefit....

best to get 4 little ones and use them in place of jack stands...

Kalevera
04-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Hehe...until one FAILS while you're under the car and you die ;)

(Sorry, watched American Psycho tonight...)

Yeah...always use jackstands.

best, whit

632 Regal
04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I had a floor jack go out one time, was just sitting there with an old car on it, I heard a couple creeking sounds and wham! down she went. I wont go under anything fully supported...EVER.

niall
04-02-2005, 02:44 AM
I had a floor jack go out one time, was just sitting there with an old car on it, I heard a couple creeking sounds and wham! down she went. I wont go under anything fully supported...EVER.

yeah same thing happned to me,
i nearly killed myself

Russell
04-02-2005, 05:33 AM
I had one for less than a month. Used it once, then it would not lift at all. Bought it from sears for about $29. I took it back and got 3 ton jack with stands for about $90. This one seems to work fine.

Hey Guys,

I got a circular in the mail for a local auto parts chain (O'reilly).

They are offering an AC Delco branded floor jack for 19.99. The jack is rated at 2-tons. Realizing that this jack isn't as pretty as the 199.99 model I saw in a store earlier this month, do you think it will do for now? Is 2-tons enough hutzpah to hold an e34?

They are also offering 2-ton jack stands for 9.99 a piece. Thought I might stock up before the sale ends.

-ashley