PDA

View Full Version : Front end work...

Hallmark
03-30-2005, 12:32 PM
About 60K miles ago I replaced my thrust arms with Lemforder arms and 750i bushings. I've developed a slight shimmy when I brake and when I corner (but not at highway speeds) and I'm thinking I need to replace the sway bar links and control arms.
Do I need to replace the thrust arm bushings again so soon? Is there anything else I should replace as long as I'm in there?

bjl4776
03-30-2005, 01:00 PM
If it is when you brake how old are your brake rotors, they may be warped

Mobius
03-30-2005, 01:02 PM
60k miles is about enough to toast a good thrust arm bushing; this is probably your problem.

..just to be sure, the classic question: "Did you tighten them with the suspension in the fully loaded position?"

Hallmark
03-30-2005, 01:30 PM
They're Brembos from BMA. When I brake lightly I get a shimmy, then I push a little harder and the shimmy stops.

If it is when you brake how old are your brake rotors, they may be warped

Hallmark
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
If 60K is enough to toast the 750 bushings, how long do the regular bushings last?

60k miles is about enough to toast a good thrust arm bushing; this is probably your problem.

..just to be sure, the classic question: "Did you tighten them with the suspension in the fully loaded position?"

Rory535i
03-30-2005, 01:39 PM
i had the same problem and it turned out to be warped rotors. just a suggestion...

632 Regal
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
check the whole front end before you go replacing stuff, and yes the thrust arms could be toast.

Mobius
03-30-2005, 04:05 PM
If 60K is enough to toast the 750 bushings, how long do the regular bushings last?From what I understand; about the same. 60k miles is a pretty damn long time. :)

One thing to check; make sure your wheels are torqued evenly and to spec. Sometimes uneven wheel torque can cause minor difference in heating/cooling across the rotor and lead to warping. This is notorious for happening after leaving a tire shop that loves their impact guns.

Hallmark
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
?
check the whole front end before you go replacing stuff, and yes the thrust arms could be toast.

632 Regal
03-30-2005, 05:56 PM
jack the front end up off the ground. Have a friend wiggle the tire left-right as you sit under the front end feeling for anything loose at the joints. Derek checked mine at Nikolas and founs a loose tie rod end, worn sway bar link and the drag link is starting to get there, add it all together and I have a loose front end and the wheels shake when I brake. Could be the toast control arms in addition too.