PDA

View Full Version : Is $8k a good price for an M5?

bondheli
03-29-2005, 08:38 PM
There is a 1993 M5 with 191k miles near me for $8000. It has some nice mods, and it looks to be in good - great shape. Just wondering if that was a good price.

Beez540
03-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Doesn't sound too bad to me!

digitaldragon03
03-29-2005, 08:56 PM
191k miles is too much i say. It might still be "ok" miles for other cars, but this is an M5. Those are 191k miles of hard driving.

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 09:15 PM
check it out closely, never know if its feast of fammon. M/5s are sweet!

Alan_525i
03-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Just remember that a motor rebuild on that car will run well over 10K. More like 15K. The suspension bits are a bit more expensive on it, but not that bad. The rest is just standard E34 stuff. If the car is good cosmetically and you have the funds around to fix it should something tragic happen, go for it.

Kalevera
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
191k without a rebuild is asking for trouble. Are you trying to buy it? You just got your car as a present! :)

Beez540
03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
191k miles is too much i say. It might still be "ok" miles for other cars, but this is an M5. Those are 191k miles of hard driving.

Just because it was designed to be driven hard, doesn't mean the prior owner did so.

They may have driven normally... hell, that mileage sounds like alot of highway & freeway miles.

I would inquire about past ownership as much as possible.

digitaldragon03
03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
If the person wanted to not push the car to its limits, we would have gotten a 525. You buy an M to drive it hard.

Beez540
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
If the person wanted to not push the car to its limits, we would have gotten a 525. You buy an M to drive it hard.

Sure you or I would, but some people buy things to say they have them, the status, that little badge on the car. ;) They may have babied it.

Remember, the M5 (albeit a super saloon) is still a saloon. So I wouldn't automatically assume that it was driven like a porsche or ferrari. It seems like people with the highest performance cars, rarely drive them the to their peak performance... alternately, those with cars unfit for such driving (fartypipe civics & eclipses)... always tear ass around like a meth head searching for the truckload of cold medicine and bleach that just flipped over.

Plus it's still an E34, that's a seriously stout platform. He'll just have to drive it awhile to know how much wear it's had.

Paul in NZ
03-30-2005, 03:08 AM
didnt a low mileage m5 just sell for arounf 23K???And seriously how hard CAN you drive an M5.Its likely to have been driven the same as most of us drive our cars now,even m5s have to stop at traffic lights ...etcetcetc

MarkD
03-30-2005, 07:15 AM
There is a 1993 M5 with 191k miles near me for $8000. It has some nice mods, and it looks to be in good - great shape. Just wondering if that was a good price.

I suppose you are refering to this one:

1993 BMW M5
Alpine White/Grey Leather Interior with Birds Eye Maple
191,000 miles
Matching VINs, never wrecked, clean title.
Last year of the E34 M5 for the US market.
Throwing star wheels, revised mirrors, shadowline trim, leather center console insert, servotronic steering, latest updates, etc.

Visually is very clean for its age and mileage. Some rock chips and couple scratches.
Interior is in great shape, no cracks in the leather, some wear on the driver's seat.
Engine performance is excellent and the transmission shifts perfectly into all gears.

Factory Options:
-BMW Alarm & Keyless Entry
-6-disc CD Changer

Additions:
-Xenon headlights retrofitted.
-Light window tint.
-BMW Car Cover
-BMW Front Camber plates.
-BMW Short shifter.
-BMW Lighted newer style shift knob replaced earlier this year.
-Continental Sport Contact 2 Tires replaced earlier this year.
-Fuel pump and FPR replaced earlier this year.
-Water pump and thermostat replaced earlier this year.
-Have extensive books and records.

Items that could use attention:
-Front and rear bumper could use some refinishing due to rock chips and scratches.
-Wheels have curb rash.
-Rear window regulators are slow.
-Cruise control cable broken.
-Suspension and front end components were replaced about 100,000 miles ago, struts could use replacement for optimal ride quality.

Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA
$8,000obo.

The price looks good to start off, but as others have mentioned, a motor rebuild can cost you $15K USD, so there's a reason why it's $8K.

Some other points to consider:

1) you will have to use the special CA 91 octane blend which is more like 90, and this motor does not have knock sensors.

2) M5's use a lot of fuel and with the rising gas prices, you may want to factor that in to your yearly costs.

3) Many M5 specific parts cost much more that on some other E34

MarkD

bondheli
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Lol yah, I am very happy with my car. I was just flirting with the idea, and wondering if that was the going rate for M5's. I was under the impression that they were still $15k + cars.

Anyway here is the link if anyone wants it:
http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/66041239.html

191k without a rebuild is asking for trouble. Are you trying to buy it? You just got your car as a present! :)

bimmerd00d
03-30-2005, 11:10 AM

i have 212k of hard driven miles on my 525i 5-spd :D :p