PDA

View Full Version : e24 3.5l Motronic eprom/ecm map???

aero0t2
03-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi, does anyone have the eprom map for an '86 635csi Motronic ECM? Should be the same as the 535 and 735, I would think. I'm restoring/modifying my car, and would like to try my hand at chiptuning too. Any suggestions on software or programmers would be appreciated as well!

thanks, A.J.

zygoteer
04-01-2005, 05:53 PM
I would think anyone who has a map with the actual significance of the hex numbers etc., would guard it well as it constitutes their inside knowledge that they wouldn't want to make available in the public domain and hence open to their competitors, at least not without a huge fee etc.

Also such lookup data will be highly critical for the correct operation of the processor in the ECU, so it's not really the kind of thing you could simply increment/decrement on a 'try-it-and-see' basis.

There is unlikely to be any published software specifically for decoding/rewriting ECU maps, except for the bespoke software/hardware which is sold with very expensive aftermarket ECU's that inevitably only applies to their equipment.
That leaves only the ordinary software (sometimes even DOS, not Windows !) that is bundled with general purpose EPROM programmers, which are only 'byte-bangers' and so are useless unless you have an exact map etc. of the data.

Whilst electronics design & development engineers use such general programming equipment regularly, its true that you don't have to be an Einstein to use them; and there used to be a plethoria of different programmer manufacturers, but technology has overtaken them to a large extent with PC based in-circuit flash programmers (not compatible with EPROM programming), although there are pin compatible flash devices for replacing some recent EPROMS.

However, that all said, it is self-evident that if you really have to seek these answers, then you are unlikely to be able to cope with all this, without specific user-friendly software/hardware etc. that will sanitize the re-mapping task, quite apart from access to the rolling road you will have to use to determine the new data !

You are way better off (in terms of finance, time, trouble, and the actual performance results) just buying a proprietry chip, such as the EAT.
I did just that, and I am an experienced electronics design & development engineer with free access to all manner of programming equipment.

grave77
04-02-2005, 10:00 AM
i have the 911 porsche motornic editor. i will e-mail it to u if u like when i'm back home. i have few bin files too that i can email. i already checked them with Mark D. God of BMW chip programming .