PDA

View Full Version : 1" Lower front end only?

Rick L
03-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Could I lower just the front end on my 1995 525? I like to lower the front slighty (about an inch, no more than that). Rear sits good so I don't wish to change the back. Any options or recommendations? :)

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 03:00 PM
H&R claims 1.2" drop front
Eibach claims 1.1" drop
only available in sets of 4
your results may vary.

bfd
03-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Could I lower just the front end on my 1995 525? I like to lower the front slighty (about an inch, no more than that). Rear sits good so I don't wish to change the back. Any options or recommendations? :)

If you want to lower your car only an 1", basically have 2 options:

1. BMW M-tech springs will lower car about 3/4-1"

2. Dinan springs will also lower your car about the same height.

I've ridden in a Dinan suspended car and the ride was great. Excellent handling, yet not too stiff.

Cost? Check with Maxmillian Imports or BMA for price on BMW M-tech springs. My local auto parts store gets me 20-25% off on Dinan parts, so you might be able do the same. Good Luck!

liquidtiger720
03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Dont forget about the sachs kit. lowers front about 1 1/4 inch and the rear may lower 1' or it may even raise (if the springs/shocks are bad)

cost 690 shipped from www.bmaautoparts.com comes with 4 boge shocks, and 4 eibach springs and a few other misc. parts.

Kalevera
03-29-2005, 05:45 PM
One of the important things to remember is that *most* e34 tuned suspension kits keep the rear at or near stock height, because it's quite adequate for most applications.

Mtech would be an excellent choice, and probably cheaper than the Dinan alternative. Personally, I like my sachs kit, but to each his own.

best, whit

TheGeak
03-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I happen to have a set of M5 springs for sale (M-Tech springs) PM me for details.

Randell
03-29-2005, 11:29 PM
mine is lowered 1" at the front, riding on 18"s... it looks perfect, but i still can't figure out why the front end looks so jacked up when you put bigger wheels on it!

i read that lowering at the front only negatively affects the handling, but i havn't noticed anything different...

pmlmotorsports
03-29-2005, 11:48 PM
M5 front springs lower the car 1/2" in the front only, the rears are the self-leveling (aka - always breaking) type. You can also go with Vogtland Springs which lower the car 35mm fr and 20mm rr, then you can order the 9mm spring perch pads to raise the "lowering effect" by 6mm, because the originals were 3mm. Hope this helps.

Denasti
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
M5 front springs lower the car 1/2" in the front only, the rears are the self-leveling (aka - always breaking) type. You can also go with Vogtland Springs which lower the car 35mm fr and 20mm rr, then you can order the 9mm spring perch pads to raise the "lowering effect" by 6mm, because the originals were 3mm. Hope this helps.

Hmmm, so you can raise the rear back up with the perch pads? Where can you get those?

I have heard of the 3mm for the front to lower it more but nothing for the rears till I saw this. If I drop my rears then I will certainly rub. This may be a good fix.

Thanks

brodee
08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
The 3mm pads were only stock on the cars that came with the M-Tech springs. All us normal guys have the 9mm pads stock so you can't raise it since you would be removing 9mm's and replacing them with 9mm.

The rear pads are stock 3mm, don't think they offer a 9mm option for back there.

FYI - I used M5 springs on the touring along with replacing the 9mm pads with 3mm ones. Got about 3/4" drop out of it. Handling and ride quality are both improved over the stock springs that were in it.

Jeff N.
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
If the springs w/9mm pads are still too low, add in the Ireland Engineering camber plates. They sit on top of the strut mounts and add back 3/8 of an inch. AND you get the added benefit of another degree of negative camber in the noise - really helps turn in!