PDA

View Full Version : Mod required for center console

homer+vat
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
My BMW 520i 1988 has a center console with 6 pop up draws for old style cassette's. Does anyone know of a mod to change it so it holds CDs. Or can it be changed for some other use?

Homey

:D

Patrick
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Being in the UK you might be able to find a center console box like this. This is a BMW accessory (I don't know the number and I'm too lazy right now to walk out to the garage, -they don't make them anymore though). I bought this one off german eBay for more than I care to admit but it was worth it. It actually makes the small center console usable and it can hold a lot junk out of sight, and I can rest my arm on it and still hold onto the stick. The lid opens to the right. I've only ever seen one other of these in the US but I know they were more common in europe.
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/patrick/Console02.jpg

emw525E34
03-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I made one out of 1cm plywood that looks much like the UK one in the picture but has better usability I needed.

Mine opens from left to right sideways. Had a slot for rear passengers to get stuff from there. Idea is to hold phones for the rear and front passengers. On the front side, I cut a pigeon hole to slot my Treo 650 into it. Then the whole box screwed into existing console with 8 screws 1.5 inch wooden screen. The unit will be covered in black leather. It works well and is perfect height for me.

:D

homer+vat
03-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys, time to call the breakers yard and see if he's got one.