PDA

View Full Version : Euro Ellipsoids Installed - Whew!

Shaun
02-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Got my ECE headlamps installed today, after some minor setbacks. First one being that my battery died Sunday, so the install got put on hold for a bit.

Got the battery charged up, then disconnected. Removed the US ellipsoids fairly easily (thanks Patrick!). Put in the new ones, put everything back together and set about figuring out how to get them all wired up.

The lights came with a 'harness adapter', but they seemed to be incomplete. On one end they had 9006 (and 9005 for the brights) connectors, but on the other end, instead of euro connectors they had bare wires! I knew I could order the proper stuff from BMA, but I didn't want to wait.

So I took a trip to my local dealer, in hopes of them having these parts. Bzzzt! Wrong anser, they had no clue. So I trudge back home and primer the headlight rings, contemplating the wiring of the lights.

I decided I'd remove the euro plugs and run the supplied half-adapters and seal them all up. A little dremeling and some silicon sealer later, I've got working headlights. Not bad I think... :p Just have to align the headlights and everything's good.

Tomorrow I'll wire up the city lights to the side markers and call it a finished project!

zmuff
02-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Cool dude! Post some pics if you can. Seriously thinking of doing mine. Where do you purchase your lights?

Bruno
02-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Dont' get them from Ebay they are shitty...

Get the real ones from Hella and not the asian copies... Else you better reglue the backs before installing them in the car.

pgh2002
02-20-2004, 10:07 AM
What makes the ebay ones so crappy? Also, the only place that I have found the Hella "Smileys" is at bekkers.com for about $600 excluding the connectors, which is hella expensive. Not saying that I would not spend the money for them, but is there a major difference. Do you know of anywhere cheaper?

Deke NorCal
02-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I think Shaun is talking about the ebay ones, I'm also thinking about buying them because I cant find a set of used Bosch ellipsoids for around 300$- I read on bimmerforums that some people that purchased them were happy.. I would love to see some completed pictures !! And do they light up the road better?

Shaun
02-20-2004, 12:53 PM
I think Shaun is talking about the ebay ones, I'm also thinking about buying them because I cant find a set of used Bosch ellipsoids for around 300$- I read on bimmerforums that some people that purchased them were happy.. I would love to see some completed pictures !! And do they light up the road better?

They definitely light up the road better than the stock ellipsoids. I read up extensively on the various opinions about them, including Brunos problems with them, which I haven't had. As I alluded to earlier, the biggest "problem" was my lack of having adequate harness adapters, which was easily solved.

I'm definitely happy with the lights, and I'll get pictures of them up today.

Bruno
02-20-2004, 01:27 PM
The ebay one's are a poor quality aftermarket part. The back piece broke after two days on the one I installed...
Just stay away from them, except if you are planning on modifying them so they are stronger...

Shaun
02-20-2004, 01:47 PM
The ebay one's are a poor quality aftermarket part. The back piece broke after two days on the one I installed...
Just stay away from them, except if you are planning on modifying them so they are stronger...

Bruno, how long ago did you buy yours?

Are you talking about the black plastic cap on the back or the cast metal housing? If it's the latter, I think they are glued better now, because it's all put together fairly well. I had to torque on them quite a bit after I installed them, getting the rear caps off.

Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe they'll break soon. I plan to keep an eye on them, but it seems there's a fairly significant bead of adhesive on the rear housing.

Tiger
02-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Bruno... what brand was it that you hated?