PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on rear 20mm swaybar

BigKriss
03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
I have the front 27mm front swaybar, now for the rear. I have narrowed it down to two options. The M5 rear 20mm sway (of course).

The ETK is 33 55 2 227 416 at around US$110.

The second bar is the Whitline swaybar (www.whiteline.com.au). They list it at 20mm and adjustable in two positions. The bushings with the bar are polyurethane. The rear swaybar also comes with their own swaybar links. The bushings in those look polyurethane also. The cost is around aus$260 or us$200.

Thinking also it's a good time to replace the subframe bushings. Here are two pics of the rear swaybar installed with the links. Don't know what car this is installed on.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=999&stc=1
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1000&stc=1

all comments welcome :)

bahnstormer
03-29-2005, 10:23 AM
i have the rd 19mm rear sway, adjustable with 2 positions

i'd get the whitline one for sure......

Geoff Hoad
03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
The M5/M Technic Sway bars are beautifully well matched to the chassis. The 20mm rear sway bar creates a little oversteer but doesn't affect the car's dynamics very much. Have had mine in for the last 5 years. Work well on road and track situations.

Hope this helps.

genphreak
03-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I have the front 27mm front swaybar, now for the rear. I have narrowed it down to two options.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=999&stc=1
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1000&stc=1

all comments welcome :)

Hah... I've never seen a yellow E34 before... bright bloomin' yellow! :D

I'd get the cheaper one, I think I'd only ever use the heavier setting... AU$260 for a sway bar... perhaps whiteline will negotiate ;) and be sure to let us know what happens...

califblue
03-29-2005, 10:47 PM
i have the M-Tech sways on my 92' 535i and they made a huge imprvement...bought them from pacific BMW

BigKriss
03-29-2005, 11:37 PM
asking them to if they would make me a 22mm rear bar. Here's what they replied with

"We believed that the balance achieved with the size sway bars that we have developed to be quite good and neutral.

We could make you a bar to the larger size if you wanted (at an extra fee) but I would not recommend it as it may be too large for the vehicle and create O/steer (especially in the wet)."

What do you guys think with this comment. Can the rear swaybar be too big? I haven't come across a 22mm bar yet. Will a 22mm have enough clearence to fit on the car? It sounds very promising. If any size bar could be made, what's the maxium size for the rear?

comments appreciated

motuman
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
I am considering the M swaybars for my 535i, but I want to stay with the stock springs. Looking for feedback from anyone who has tried that configuration (i.e. stock springs w/ M swaybars). Did your highway ride feel any stiffer with the larger swaybars, or was it only noticeable in cornering?

I know that in theory swaybars are not supposed to affect ride quality, but I in practice I have encountered situations where you could notice the stiffer bars in ride quality as well.

Thanks.

Rory535i
03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
asking them to if they would make me a 22mm rear bar. Here's what they replied with

"We believed that the balance achieved with the size sway bars that we have developed to be quite good and neutral.

We could make you a bar to the larger size if you wanted (at an extra fee) but I would not recommend it as it may be too large for the vehicle and create O/steer (especially in the wet)."

What do you guys think with this comment. Can the rear swaybar be too big? I haven't come across a 22mm bar yet. Will a 22mm have enough clearence to fit on the car? It sounds very promising. If any size bar could be made, what's the maxium size for the rear?

comments appreciated

Go for it mate! oversteer is always fun on a wet roundabout! :D on a serious note though, it might be a good idea as u say u are suffering from a lot of understeer at the moment with your new swaybar in the front so the stiffer rear one might counterbalance this and improve the handling of the car.

BigKriss
03-30-2005, 05:26 AM
what size is considered too big?