PDA

View Full Version : 530i 1995 M60 Power Steering Hoses

myonecent
03-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Replacing the three hoses that use Banjo bolts is now complete. The two most difficult aspects are threading the hose from the pump to the reservoir through the remote oil filter hoses and knowing where the Banjo bolts are on the steering gear.

To thread the hose from the pump to the reservoir, I removed the steering pump and reached from below to the two remote oil filter lines in braid. Then I unbent the power steering hose and worked it upward.

You have to remove the upper heat shield over the steering gear to see the two Banjo bolts. I had the engine lifted because I was replacing the motor mounts at the same time. The heat shield has two nuts to remove and then you move the shield aft. There is one nut forward on the top and one at the rear inboard. I removed both of the rear nuts because they also hold the looped power steering hose in position. I got the inboard rear from below after removing the lower left heat shield. The outboard rear I got from above with a universal and extensions.

Both Banjo bolts on the steering gear are visible and easy to unscrew from above with a universal and extensions provided the engine is jacked up.

When dealing with hoses sometimes they soften and sometimes they harden. Many of my power steering hoses hardened and therefore they no longer would seal despite clamps. Cutting the end of a hardened hose may work for a while. Makes more sense to me to replace the hose with a flexible version that will seal for years.