PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Change

s.c.estes
03-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Well i think it's time to change the brake pads in my '95 525. The dash just popped up a message saying Brake Linings. Anyone have some pads they really like as OEM replacements? I have the shop manual but haven't gotten a chance to look through it yet. Anyone have any recommendations on extra parts that should be replaced while I'm in there? Is there an electronic sensor that I should replace? Thanks in advance to all.

dave b
03-28-2005, 11:51 PM
I can't remember the brand name I use, but call BMA and they'll give you a suitable replacement. They'll send you the sensors also.

You might want to bleed the brakes if you're in there also. Requires a buddy or a pressure bleeder.

Well i think it's time to change the brake pads in my '95 525. The dash just popped up a message saying Brake Linings. Anyone have some pads they really like as OEM replacements? I have the shop manual but haven't gotten a chance to look through it yet. Anyone have any recommendations on extra parts that should be replaced while I'm in there? Is there an electronic sensor that I should replace? Thanks in advance to all.

Kalevera
03-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Raybestos QS.

You will need to replace the lining wear sensor (one for the front, one for the rear). You can reuse them if they're not worn, but obviously one of yours is gone.

Do a search on the brake pads - this has been discussed a lot and a lot of people have said lots of things about it :)

best, whit

s.c.estes
03-29-2005, 06:01 AM
Looked over BMA's page for the QS pads but couldn't find them. Do you normally have to call them to get them or does someone have another place they buy from that they like just as well?

BigKriss
03-29-2005, 06:09 AM
Looked over BMA's page for the QS pads but couldn't find them. Do you normally have to call them to get them or does someone have another place they buy from that they like just as well?

they don't stock the raybestos qs cermaic pads. look elsewhere like pepboys or americaparts. pbr metal masters are suppossed to be a strong pad. bma sell them.

s.c.estes
03-29-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks BigKriss. I found several other places that sell the Raybestos and I think I'll order them. I've searched the forums and found a couple places people liked to order from, just wanted to get a feel if there was anyone out there that gave top notch service every time and had them in stock.

BigKriss
03-29-2005, 06:35 AM
good luck mate. I'm ordering from down under, it's extremely hard to beat the email response times that bma auto parts set.

i have never had to wait more than 24 hours hours for a response and often patrick respons within a few hours.

awesome - cannot be beat :)

western99
03-29-2005, 10:13 AM
If you are chaging your pads, that is most likely a sign that you should change your rotors as well. They may look like they have life left in them, but if they are not to spec thickness, you could have some problems down the road. I am a believer in changing your rotors whenever you change your pads. They usually go hand in hand.

Just my 2c

Brian

TheDuke
03-29-2005, 04:17 PM
To be honest I'm not too impressed with Raybestos QS. I must admit; they much much cleaner than OEM pads but stopping isn't as good.
Did anyone else had problems with fitting rear brake pads? Mine didn't fit right I've changed one side first (one with the sensor) few months ago, this Saturday I'll be putting the other side (outside). Guys at the dealership told me they have similar problems with 3 series once in a while. I guess its do to the fact that BMW uses different companies to make their calipers.

Kalevera
03-29-2005, 05:42 PM
?! you only changed one side when you did your pads?!! No wonder they don't stop well :)

Also, I did a little research for Kristian a while back...I discovered that Federated sells Raybestos products, although they repackage them in federated boxes. I bought brakes while I was in there for another car in the family and the front raybestos rotors cost *$24 EACH*. Incredible deal.

best, whit