PDA

View Full Version : 95 E34 540i Smooth Idle, But Poor Acceleration

Cambridge
03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I’m not getting the power I used to out of my 95 540i. It idles smooth as silk and cruises nicely, but when I punch the accelerator to pass or merge with traffic, it just doesn’t seem to have the power it used to. The exhaust also seems to have a different note when I punch it. I’m used to a smooth turbine-like sound, but now I hear a slight chuffing rhythm in the exhaust. Before it was effortless acceleration, now the engine seems to labor.

Interestingly, about 120 miles or so ago, I replaced the oxygen sensors and plugs. (Sensors were Bosch, plugs were Bosch platinum+4) For about 30 miles the car was like a rocket. Smooth, powerful acceleration. Then, while at highway speed, I experienced a short burst of engine knock and an accompanying loss of power. The knock quickly went away in a couple seconds, but the power never came back.

The computer shows two persistent faults: “lambda control #1” and “lambda control #2”

I rechecked the sensors and the plugs, but they seem fine. The car has an Alusil block with 108000 miles. I checked fuel pressure per Bentley and that all checked out.

I’ve heard that the computer needs 150 miles to adjust itself after a sensor change. Could that be the cause of poor performance? Is it possible that this is all because of a bad injector? I’ve also heard that it could be the exhaust gas recirculation control on the back of the intake manifold. (Although there is not much suction when I open the oil filler or pull the dipstick).

Any ideas?

632 Regal
03-28-2005, 10:45 PM
disconnect the battery and cross the cables for 30 minutes to re-set the computer. Re start the car, let it idle for a few minutes and then drive as usual, this should at least reclibrate the computer for the current condition of the system. Post the results when done.

Tiger
03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Bosch Plat +4 is always a bad idea on BMW engine. People have problems.

tim s
03-28-2005, 11:24 PM
when i bought it, & it made a noticable difference to me after i installed the correct plugs.
tim s.

grave77
03-28-2005, 11:59 PM
since there a noticable change in the exhaust note, i think that you need to check the catalytic converter as it seems like blocking the outlet of your engine.

Cambridge
04-02-2005, 06:20 PM
when i bought it, & it made a noticable difference to me after i installed the correct plugs.
tim s.

Did you notice the change in all areas of performance? Did it improve acceleration? Or the idle?

Cambridge
04-02-2005, 06:22 PM
disconnect the battery and cross the cables for 30 minutes to re-set the computer. Re start the car, let it idle for a few minutes and then drive as usual, this should at least reclibrate the computer for the current condition of the system. Post the results when done.

Does this reset the transmission computer, too?

DueyT
04-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Ich concurren...or, I agree, with Tiger! Plat-4 bad...NGK good. :D

tim s
04-02-2005, 10:18 PM
but i am obsessed with my car being right.
my mech. would only sell me bosch since they where oem.
tim s.

Cambridge
04-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Just went back. Pulled out the plat +4's and installed new OEM Bosch. So far no change in performance...

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
did you disconnect the battery for a while yet?

grave77
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
your problem is deeper than OEM or Bosch ... the original ones r made by NGK 2 heads ... those were performance pluges back in the 90's so u don't need to change to any type! I even wish to put the 540 plugs on my M30 engine ... anyway... have u checked your MAF? did u take it to some one and connect it to a diagnostic tool? u might have more than one factor here... excessive cabon emmision will damge the O2 sensors ... and since u had this problem for some time ... ur engine will need an injector cleaner after u fix this problem to clean the carbon build up. I had this problem with my M30 engine ... it took me 1 week of driving to have it back as I knew it ...
if u fixed the leaks and all the minor stuff .... filters ( air / gas ) ... new plugs ... O2 sensors ... and u still have it ... then I will vote for MAF ...

PatrickPGH
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM

But I thought you said crossing the streams would be bad...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/238809.jpg

Sorry, just watched Ghostbusters last night