PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky bushing. WTF??!!

NielsGalan
03-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey guys. I changed this bushing (see pic) about a month ago and everything was fine. The old one looked like hell. So, a couple of weeks ago we changed the subframe mounts and ever since the other (pic) bushing has been squeaking like an old spring bed (and we din't like squeaky beds, do we?). So here I am with a beautiful E34 that sounds like an old bed. We are pretty positive that it is this bushing that is squealing, because we tried tightening it which helped. However the squeak returned with a vengeance!

Low speed only, especially over bumps (no matter what size). Annoying as hell AND very unsexy for a car like this.

Is there a certain torque value for tightening this? Lube? (we tried silicone spray)? Or is this just my punishment for buying onoriginal parts???

Thanks for any input.

NielsGalan
03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
And another thing ...

The Evil Squeak is only on my left side.

I'm cursed. My starter needs to be changed AND the car sounds like an old spring bed. How demeaning. If I risk it by NOT parking on a slope and the starter starts acting up, not only will I have to push it to get it started. It will also squeak like hell :D . Old cars are funny ...

NielsGalan
03-29-2005, 06:14 AM
This is great! I'll just keep my own post going!

I assume that we should have lubed the thing before fitting. I'll remove it and oil it up. This little adventure sure has taught me how much work the suspension is actually doing.

Bellicose Right Winger
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't think there is anything for you to lubricate before installing. All the lube needed should be inside the rubber boots.

As an aside, I've had success eliminating squeaks in the front sway bar links by injecting silicone lube into the ball joint boot with a syringe and needlefrom an old inkjet refill kit. It worked so well I decided not to order new the sway bar links! I can't wait for my pitman arms to squeak.

Paul Shovestul

This is great! I'll just keep my own post going!

I assume that we should have lubed the thing before fitting. I'll remove it and oil it up. This little adventure sure has taught me how much work the suspension is actually doing.

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
theres some reason its squeeking, not from lack of lube either. Maybe the old rusty bolts are locking up before tightening all the way leaving them a bit lose, or the bolt is worn and is allowing the bushing to move side to side creating the fun sound. Inspect the bolts, run a die down them and lube the threads...or replace the bolts if they look mangled or worn. Put a washer under the head of the bolt for more squish action.

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
all this time I thought you were getting replies so I didnt look...lol

m5maniac2001
03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
I have this exact same problem, but it is on the right rear of the car. I had no idea what it was, but now I will look into the bushing.

Good luck with your fix, tell me if you get it to work.

Andrew

NielsGalan
03-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your input.

I have been under the car looking around, and when I rock the car from side to side both pitman arms rock back and forth, twisting and turning around the bolts. By reading Jeff's reply I suppose they are supposed to stay in place and only move at the rubber parts????? Is the thing just too lose?

632 Regal
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
sounds like it, take the bolts out and inspect, should be kinda obvious.

Mobius
03-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your input.

I have been under the car looking around, and when I rock the car from side to side both pitman arms rock back and forth, twisting and turning around the bolts. By reading Jeff's reply I suppose they are supposed to stay in place and only move at the rubber parts????? Is the thing just too lose?Well, first, it should be noted that these aren't rubber bushings; they're metal. The only rubber is the boot that holds the grease in.

If they're squeaking, and you're sure it's them, maybe you got a bad one that wasn't greased properly?