PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Question?

m5maniac2001
03-26-2005, 12:13 AM
I have a 92 525iT with 159700 miles on the clock. I took it to the dealer to get the fluid in the AT topped up, because it felt rough and thought it might need a top-up, like last time. The mechanic said it didn't need fluid but the transmission was screwed. He said it would be $5k to fix

I know that these trannys have problems but $5k seems a bit extreme. The only problem that I can feel is that the shifts from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd are rough, and that if i am slowing to a stop and then try to take off, the engine revs, like it was in neutral, and the the tranny finally kicks in but with a shudder.

Dose anyone think that this would be an easy fix or should I start looking for another 5er. I have heard about the AT to MT swap but have no idea on how much that would cost.

Anyone with some experince in this area? I would love to get some advise.

Thanks
Andrew

Kalevera
03-26-2005, 01:59 AM
Get the Shell lifetime fluid and a filter and change it yourself (if you're so inclined). If the fluid hasn't been changed ever, just changing it may solve all problems. I wouldn't waste time with the f'ing $tealer. Just my opinion, though. Don't want to do the work yourself? If you don't have a good indy, check out the list on http://www.iaibmwsp.org/.

Trans could be going regardless, but I'd take my chances with the fluid/filter change first and see what happens (unless you really want to get rid of the car, in which case PM me).

best, whit

Mr. BILL
03-26-2005, 02:12 AM
Your first problem was going to the stealer. They'll rape you on a job like that. I agree with changing the filter/fluid to see if that takes care of it. Either it will, or the tranny will crap out shortly after.

For a good remanufacured check out http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/ Forget your local AAMCO shop.

pundit
03-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Your first problem was going to the stealer. They'll rape you on a job like that...
My brother-in-law was quoted $26,000.00 AUD ($21,000.00 USD) by an Audi stealer to replace the trans in his Audi A8. No that price was NOT a typo!!

tnt525i
03-26-2005, 06:52 AM
interesting.. my car is having that exact problem.
i was told by a friend of mine who had that problem and he changed his filter, it reduced the problem but didnt solve it,, he then went to a tranny guy who diagnosed it to be a solenoid on the tranny, changed it and problem was solved,
i am going to do the same procedure next week, i will post you the results.

m5maniac2001
03-26-2005, 07:07 PM
thanks for the responses.

TNT525 what syptom did you experience, the rough shifting or the car not kicking into gear after nearly coming to a stop?