PDA

View Full Version : Replica Rims

TheDuke
03-25-2005, 11:24 PM
There is a lot of confusion going around rims right now. Ebay every other rim set is a replica. A lot of people think they crap, and not worth a penny, but what you think. How is the finish on them? Is it holding up? How close is it to OEM quality? Post your experiences with them, where you got them form, are they worth the price? Any thoughts? What are the best places to get them?

632 Regal
03-25-2005, 11:30 PM
give PMLMOTORSPORTS a hollar, He seems to know whats up with this stuff, think he is a distributer too. He is on here every so often, look him up.

Kalevera
03-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah, Peter seems to have good prices on the OEM/actual shtuff (we're talking eBay replica price territory here). I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him - others have on the board, I believe.

BobGardner
03-26-2005, 10:42 AM
i went with 17" M3 rims from DiscountTireDirect.com, which i found from bmwe34.net. i've had them for almost two years now, but when i got them i had only just started driving so i wasnt very good. needless to say, a few curbs thought they would taste good, so they jumped out at me...but aside from that, there are no problems with mine after two years. i cant vouche for them any longer than that, though.

TheDuke
03-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm looking Alpina style rims, found few on ebay for a pretty good price aorund $400, but the shipping is a killer $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43957&item=7964271182&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

pmlmotorsports
03-26-2005, 07:19 PM
These are not Alpina style, but in fact BMW Type 32 replicas (although not available in staggered fitments). Abraham Motorsports imports something similar ( http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/index-1.html ) as does RVM @ ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=7964015452&rd=1 ). The Kopi copy has a smooth center cap that hides the lug nuts making them the replica that best duplicates the real Alpina just minus the lip of the rear wheel drive offset. The RVM replica has extensions of the vanes (spokes) continue into the center cap almost to the Alpina logo. You can choose either style and in my opinion the RVM wheel is by far and away the best bang-for-buck deal out there even though they are made in China. As all replica wheels are heavy when compared to OEM, it is up to you if the added weight is of concern. Hope this helps.
I'm looking Alpina style rims, found few on ebay for a pretty good price aorund $400, but the shipping is a killer $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43957&item=7964271182&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

TheDuke
03-26-2005, 09:34 PM
How about Voxx wheels? I really like Scorze and Saga II wheels, but I can't find any for e34. OEM style 32s how much would they go for? Are stock 525 rims staggered?

pmlmotorsports
03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I can supply you factory oem style 32 17x8 and 17x9 staggered with Toyo T1S tires 235/45-17 fr and 265/40-17 rr. These tires are voted #1 by a leading European magazine test 4 years running for $1,375.00 + shipping. They will come with the required hub-centric ring and have been refinished using a igh quality powder-coating w/ 5yr warranty on finish. The factory finish has been notorious for peeling. The wheels alone are $690.00 + shipping. As for the Voxx line, they are Discount Tire Direct's exclusive line. I can't say anything good or bad about them as I never even touched one. However I do know they are very similar to MAS Italy's Sagitta in styling and since MAS Italy is no longer in business, you can draw your own conclusions as to where the casting mold came from.

TheDuke
03-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Can you post some picures? Where are you located at? I would rather pick them up myself and save on shipping.

TheDuke
03-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Can u mail me at TheDuke@iname.com

632 Regal
03-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Paul, pop some pics in the posts! Eye candy is dandy at times.

digitaldragon03
03-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Ive been looking into replica e39 m5 rims or, SSR GT-3 rims, but i dont think those fit on our e34.

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Can you post some picures? Where are you located at? I would rather pick them up myself and save on shipping.
Here is a site http://zoouz.free.fr/wheels.htm that shows all the bmw wheels. The style we are talking about is STYLE 32, 17x8 fr, and 17x9 rr. I also offer STYLE 5, a 17x8 wheel, but being a true 2-piece wheel, it is more costly. I believe that wheel is $850.00 a set refinished to perfection and warranted for 3 yr on finish and I believe lifetime on structure, but don't quote me on the structual warranty......lol. That's about it for OE BMW wheel offerings. I am located in Brooklyn, NY. Unfortunately, this thread started with, "There is a lot of confusion going around rims right now. Ebay every other rim set is a replica.", and I can go on and on and on about different options for low offset BMWs in 17", 18" thru 22" .......eeek, 22" God forbid. Basically, decide on how much ya want to spend, I'll show ya wheels up to that price-point + $150, and then you can decide, but I can't go and post info on every wheel I can get a hold of, it would take hours and make this place look like a store-front for me, and that's not cool. Hope this helps.

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 12:23 AM
who is Paul?

Paul, pop some pics in the posts! Eye candy is dandy at times.

bmwrube
03-28-2005, 01:06 AM
PML,thanks for the website re BMW wheels, was able to find out mine are style 89s. A friend brought it in from Germany for his M5, he decided to stick with his originals so was able to get them from him, using them with Potenza 235s. Question: aside from the centerpiece logo, they didnt have any BMW markings on them. Just an 'Austria' stamp at the back. Are these original BMW, or some sort of replica? Thanks!

Rory535i
03-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Can you fit 19's on an E34 or do they require wheel arch modification?

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 03:39 AM
some wheels are special order only, especially when the car/wheel is purchased in Germany. BMW approves many wheels, upwards of 200 styles as you can see, but not all are continued BMW part numbers, or ever entered as such, some wheels are simply offered through BMW dealerships like add-on options at the dealer level. The main thing is this, if the wheel is offered through a BMW catalog, or dealership, and it is manufactured by an approved BMW supplier, it is a high quality product and you can't consider it non-BMW......the wheel you are referring to resembles the Z8 Alpina wheel, and it may be forged. Weigh it and see. If it is lighter than 22lbs, it's forged, and some forged wheels have a sticker on the inner-barrel to identify it. FYI, Austria is the home of Fuchs, the people who made the Porsche black 5 spoke wheel for years. Hope this helps.

PML,thanks for the website re BMW wheels, was able to find out mine are style 89s. A friend brought it in from Germany for his M5, he decided to stick with his originals so was able to get them from him, using them with Potenza 235s. Question: aside from the centerpiece logo, they didnt have any BMW markings on them. Just an 'Austria' stamp at the back. Are these original BMW, or some sort of replica? Thanks!

Paul in NZ
03-28-2005, 03:47 AM
ahhaaaa i wondered what my wheels were modelled after,I think they are Italian.They are quite light but bend fairly easily,the importer no longer brings them in here

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/feft%20side.jpg

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 03:52 AM
They'll fit all day long.......you simply run a 19x8.5 rim +15mm offset; give or take 3mm, and install a 245/35-19 tire. It works just fine, especially if you live where the roads are real nice w/o any fender/wheel-arch mods. However, if you have cobblestone streets, highway speed bumps, or hit a a bad bump, you will feel every little imperfection. And if you hit a pothole, FORGET IT. Hope this helps.
Can you fit 19's on an E34 or do they require wheel arch modification?

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 04:10 AM
E39 replicas are a dime a dozen as every foundry on the planet makes a version of it. The SSR GT3 wheel is definitely available if you got the green-backs.
Ive been looking into replica e39 m5 rims or, SSR GT-3 rims, but i dont think those fit on our e34.

Randell
03-28-2005, 05:04 AM
ahhaaaa i wondered what my wheels were modelled after,I think they are Italian.They are quite light but bend fairly easily,the importer no longer brings them in here

those wheels are hot!

i have some 18x8 e39 m5 replicas, they look good (too light in color compared to the real thing though) and they're a bit weak (though i did hit a speed bump at ridiculous speeds), but overall pretty good for the price

Rory535i
03-28-2005, 06:18 AM
They'll fit all day long.......you simply run a 19x8.5 rim +15mm offset; give or take 3mm, and install a 245/35-19 tire. It works just fine, especially if you live where the roads are real nice w/o any fender/wheel-arch mods. However, if you have cobblestone streets, highway speed bumps, or hit a a bad bump, you will feel every little imperfection. And if you hit a pothole, FORGET IT. Hope this helps.

Nice one, thanks.

bmwrube
03-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks PML. They're on my 525ia, but I recall hefting them and they were markedly lighter than my regular 15s pulled from an E39, and I find the steering effort with them now much less than before, not to mention total absence of vibration at any speed. Find tho that they do tend to track cracks and lines on the road, w/c I think is normal for wider tires? Appreciate the info, take care!

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 02:52 PM
that's known a "tramming".......all wide wheel and tire combos do that, especially Porsches due to the lightness of the front end utilizing a rear engine design.

Ted K
03-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Pml, Can you get T-stars?

pmlmotorsports
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
New?.............used? reconditioned?...........as you already know, they are rare and expensive..........I know I could locate a set, but as to their condition, I wouldn't know until I find them...sorry. I can offer you many alternatives including lightweight forged wheels, some that actually weigh less than the T-Stars.....let me know
Pml, Can you get T-stars?

TheDuke
03-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Here is a site http://zoouz.free.fr/wheels.htm that shows all the bmw wheels. The style we are talking about is STYLE 32, 17x8 fr, and 17x9 rr. I also offer STYLE 5, a 17x8 wheel, but being a true 2-piece wheel, it is more costly. I believe that wheel is $850.00 a set refinished to perfection and warranted for 3 yr on finish and I believe lifetime on structure, but don't quote me on the structual warranty......lol. That's about it for OE BMW wheel offerings. I am located in Brooklyn, NY. Unfortunately, this thread started with, "There is a lot of confusion going around rims right now. Ebay every other rim set is a replica.", and I can go on and on and on about different options for low offset BMWs in 17", 18" thru 22" .......eeek, 22" God forbid. Basically, decide on how much ya want to spend, I'll show ya wheels up to that price-point + $150, and then you can decide, but I can't go and post info on every wheel I can get a hold of, it would take hours and make this place look like a store-front for me, and that's not cool. Hope this helps.
Pml YO DA MAN, as my few Jamaican friends would say. I honestly don't think you are making this post a counter top, we prop ably being saved from making a very very bad and expensive mistakes. And we all appreciate it. One of that guys at my work bought a set of 20" rims for his SUV, had them for few weeks before they started pealing because of poor quality finish, Also he dented the rim on a ridiculously small bump. Unlucky for him he spend about $3k on them to find out he bought a peace of junk worth about $500 in aluminum at the local recycling plant. :(