PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Balancing with Shiney wheels

632 Regal
03-25-2005, 09:59 PM
is static balance good enough? I dont want to hammer some side weights on the polished side so....will I be bouncin? I had them static balance and they put the weights on the inside edge, I came home and put sticky weights in appx the center of the rims. Didnt do the Highway cruise yet, anticipation of .....fill in the blanks.

Kalevera
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Jeff - I don't know the answer, but let me know when you find out. My style 5's have weights on the external lip, and it annoys the hell out of me. best, whit

632 Regal
03-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I wouldnt do the outside lip deal, rather deal with a slight imbalance. I will take pics when my caps come in. Might look kinda funkey with mud flaps. Actually Im so used to the basketwaeves I cant see that I like these rims on my car at all. They'll grow on me im sure, dont look stock any more.

Tiger
03-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Dynamic is the best balancing which is weight on inside and outside. Bear with me as I explain. You do not need to use those hammer on weights. You can request stick-on weight... However, the double sided stickers are pain in the butt to remove.

There are also another dynamic balancing with weight on both side but the outer side is still inside the wheel. This is called "Mag or Alloy" balancing for those wheel where it is impossible to put weight on the outside..

However, there is a problem with our wheels with super deep dish... it is too far in for "Alloy" balancing.

Static balancing is okay... If done properly on calibrated machine.... I mean calibrated every week... which no one does... will not produce any vibration at all. You just have to try it.

So, you can either do the stick-on weight or static.

632 Regal
03-25-2005, 11:32 PM
what if i just buy a buble balancer? I mean as far as this static stuff goes isnt that pretty much the same stew?

Paul in NZ
03-26-2005, 01:41 AM
just go to the tire shop and use stick ons!make sure they stick em on the inside

Derek A.
03-26-2005, 10:24 AM
We balance the wheels on a dynamic balancer. For customers that do not want weights on the outside - we use stick on weights on the inside of the wheel as far outward as possible. Generally you need to add about 30% more weight as it is moved inboard from the front face of the wheel.

Normal procedure is to add weight to the face side of the wheel - get it to balance and then move to the back side of the wheel and generally those will take hammeron weights. These cars are sensative - anything more than 10g out of balance will be felt going down the road.

Tiger
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Pretty much but not that accurate for super high speed balancing. Alot of guesswork too.

DueyT
03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Jeff, mine are "alloy balanced" and the stick on weights are all on the inside, some right at the inboard lip and the "outer" ones as tight to the weaves and titanium bolts of the #5's as they'll go. My neighbour who owns the shop I get my work done at said that he added about 25% more stick-ons to the "outer" weights than the machine said for alloy to make up for not being on the outside of the wheel...balanced up pretty well (i.e. the balancer didn't say anymore weight was needed.)

I'm flipping a coin today as to whether I put the #5's on this weekend or wait one more weekend...Catch 22, likely a frickin' April blizzard will come my way if I put them on this weekend, and if I don't...well, it's one more week with skinny winters and steel wheels. DOH!

Cheers,
Duey

pmlmotorsports
03-26-2005, 07:00 PM
No comment....... been there, done that........the bubble balance is not to be considered.........just hope the machine is calibrated.