PDA

View Full Version : Found clear sidemarkers for sale

everest
03-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Bavauto.com just added clear sidemarkers. Weird, I was just on this page an hour ago, and they weren't there.

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/4498/untitled14mw.gif

Eric Clark
03-25-2005, 11:48 AM
I think they have been there. I was looking at them last week. Do you know of any other reliable sources for these?

everest
03-25-2005, 11:58 AM
These are the first I've ever found that have the black trim. I've only seen the chromed out ones. Been looking everywhere though.

rockyfeller
03-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I bought mine off Ebay I think $20 for the pair. 2 yrs ago I too was looking for the black housing ones. First time I've ever seen em too. Mine had a white housing (whatthefreakweretheythinking??) I had to mask the lens and painted the rest black. I had the body shop that painted my spoiler do it at the same time. Looks just fine. Later I saw the weirdo chrome ones on Ebay (what are they thinking??) I didn't do the rear sidemarkers...I feel clear with red bulbs look cheap and Hondaish, besides the red lenses match the tail-lights; my whole aim was to get rid of the amber. Clears all the way! My car is black and I love the slightly blacked out look so all my lenses have a matching very light dusting of smoke-tint which is transparent but gives it a euro look. I could have bought everything individually readymade smoked but I preferred to do it myself for a more uniform effect. Instead of E34 fender side-markers, I went for slimmer E38 ones. They don't have that ugly black surround and are narrower. I don't think anyone has copied me on those yet ;)

DueyT
03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I bought mine off Ebay I think $20 for the pair. 2 yrs ago I too was looking for the black housing ones. First time I've ever seen em too. Mine had a white housing (whatthefreakweretheythinking??) I had to mask the lens and painted the rest black. I had the body shop that painted my spoiler do it at the same time. Looks just fine. Later I saw the weirdo chrome ones on Ebay (what are they thinking??) I didn't do the rear sidemarkers...I feel clear with red bulbs look cheap and Hondaish, besides the red lenses match the tail-lights; my whole aim was to get rid of the amber. Clears all the way! My car is black and I love the slightly blacked out look so all my lenses have a matching very light dusting of smoke-tint which is transparent but gives it a euro look. I could have bought everything individually readymade smoked but I preferred to do it myself for a more uniform effect. Instead of E34 fender side-markers, I went for slimmer E38 ones. They don't have that ugly black surround and are narrower. I don't think anyone has copied me on those yet ;)Greg, do you have pics? :D Have you done a shadowline trim as well?

I bought some clear reflectors to mod my side markers...based on what you say, I may just do the fronts...check comments on clear with red buld on rear.

Cheers,

Duey

KingSix
03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I think they have been there. I was looking at them last week. Do you know of any other reliable sources for these?

Bavarian Autosport is about as reliable as you can get...

everest
03-25-2005, 02:13 PM
OK, you got me thinking about leaving the rear side markers red. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I photoshopped with an all clear vs. clear front, red rear. What do you guys think? #1 or #2

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/3773/pict00012us.jpg

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/5489/pict00022oi.jpg

Mobius
03-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I think european trim looks better than any color sidemarker. :)

rockyfeller
03-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Well since you have a white car, you could go for 4 clears...along with those corners and tails...Since my car is black, I think just 2 clears looks better. Tough call, it'll look good either way IMO.

Mobius
03-25-2005, 11:19 PM
OK, you got me thinking about leaving the rear side markers red. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I photoshopped with an all clear vs. clear front, red rear. What do you guys think? #1 or #2#3:
http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/pict00022oi-b.jpg

Ooooh... Ahhhhh.. :)

everest
03-26-2005, 12:53 AM
True. What would it involve putting the euro bumper trim on? Is it pretty easy?

Mobius
03-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Well; they fit pretty tight, but it's just a friction fit. The front parts slide forward and pop off, the rear ones slide back. It'll be obvious when you look at the new parts. No skill needed.

No painting or anything, of course.

Eric Clark
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Yep I have a had only great experiences with them. I just like to shop around and was wondering if anyone else offered some and what their prices. Sorry if I came off as questioning Bavarian Autosports reliability. I just know there are many Ebay ripoffs out there.

rockyfeller
03-26-2005, 08:32 PM
Lots of people on the board prefer the euro trim...I don't get it, dosen't it look better and safer with the sidemarkers? Just a matter of taste I guess....

everest
03-28-2005, 02:27 PM
It's debatable. You would think it would be a little safer with side markers, but I've been looking at a lot of cars on the road lately - many of them don't have side markers at all. Anyway, here is an up close comparison of euro spec. trim vs. clears:

Clears:
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/410/clearcornerangelclear7qp.jpg

Euro spec. trim:
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8156/clearcornerangel3rd.jpg

shragon
03-28-2005, 08:10 PM
saw those on bavauto a few weeks ago.

euro bumper trim, which deletes the front and rear sidemarker lights, looks better.

rockyfeller
03-29-2005, 03:18 AM
still like the sidemarker instead of euro-trim, it just gives a more complete look. I know newer cars don't have em and it looks kinda old skool, but hey this car is a 1989 design and my belief is keeping the car looking updated but not necessarily cutting-edge comtemporary. (Guess that's why I like style #5 rims over "bling-bling" rims my ignorant friends recommend.) The clears will match in the day and at night the amber matching the corners from the front and sides just looks better and the rear ....just my opinion...:)

Elekta
03-29-2005, 08:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN1995.jpg
Clear sidemarkers are better, safer, and look great on silbermetallic. I'd even do what the euros are doing which is have the q panel clear marker hooked up to your blinker and the clear sidemarker parking light/ reflector. I'll make that mod eventually.

even in the caliche

nuff said

everest
03-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Wouldn't you need a dual filament bulb in your sidemarker to make it blink brighter, instead of on and off?

rockyfeller
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I had that idea too but actually for the fender sidemarkers...but the socket accepts only a 194A bulb which comes single filament only. I looked for a similar size dual filament bulb I could modify to fit the housing but just gave in and installed it as is. I have seen the mod done on other cars on the road, wish I could ask what bulb they used.

liquidtiger720
03-31-2005, 02:09 AM
i think im going with euro trim up front, and leaving the rear ones on. or ill just smoke the front ones. =) The orange just looks out of place, and the clear ones look funny to me.