PDA

View Full Version : Depo Headlight retrofit - need connectors

mikell
03-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Just went to install aftermarket Depo headlights - the ones that use H-1 bulbs located inside a plastic cap. Anyway, I don't really want to cut into the stock wiring, and need a connector that is the same as the stock 9006 bulb, so I can fabricate a pluig-in for the aftermarket set. Anyone know where to get these plugs, and what a part number is?

If there is an easier solution, any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Anton CH.
03-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Here is one method that works:
1. Cut couple of holes into the plastic cap.
2. Solder two wires to the H1 bulb.
3. Run the wires through the plastic cap.
4. Epoxy the holes shut so it won't leak.
5. Make the ends of the wires nice and round and pointy. Coat the ends with a little solder to make them rigid. They should be just thick enough to fit snuglly inside the 9006 connector.
6. Apply masking tape.

everest
03-25-2005, 11:08 AM
I got the yellow connectors/adapters to go from existing wiring to hi/lo beams with my depo angel eye order from makotoautotrends.com. You could contact them to see if they would sell you the adapters separately, that is, if you want to leave everything intact.

Shaun
03-25-2005, 11:58 AM
After going through the same dilemma and cutting into my stock wiring, I found out that the front side markers (in the bumpers) use the same connectors, albeit grey. You should probably be able to pick up a pair from the stealer, and make some adapters.

rockyfeller
03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Hmm that's true....come to think of it those did look similar.....wish I had known instead of doing the improvisional method. I showed the stealer and he look dumbfounded like there could never be such a connector on a BMW.

Mr Project
03-25-2005, 06:52 PM
You can buy male 9005 and 9006 plugs from:

www.rallylights.com

I just placed an order yesterday for the same reason...bulbs and connectors so I can wire up my new Depos. $60 for nice bulbs and wiring...not bad.

bimmerd00d
03-25-2005, 08:44 PM
The dealer sells wires that will plug right up to the plastic cap connector. You can then buy the male end of the 9006/9005 connectors from the site mentioned above, and just solder and shrink wrap the connection you make.

Paul in NZ
03-26-2005, 01:56 AM
dont solder the wires to the H1 bulbs use spade connectors to fit onto the tabs.Check your fogs they might be h1,s

e34it
03-26-2005, 03:22 AM
So if u are in europe, this isnt an issue right? It should be plug and play? The city lights plug should power the angels eyes right?

Paul in NZ
03-26-2005, 04:33 AM
yeah i reckon thats right e34it

jplacson
04-05-2005, 03:23 AM
To everyone with Depo brand angel eyes... are you guys happy with them? Are they good quality lights/lenses? Oh, and is it possible to remove that funny looking silver cap on the bulbs of the high beams?

everest
04-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I like em. Quality is acceptable, but not up to OEM standards. My recommendation is to put the lens shields on them from bavauto.com. That should help protect them from cracking from rocks, etc.

You could probably remove the metal piece you are talking about because I think you can access the inside of the lamps to replace the angel eye bulbs.

Mobius
04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh, and is it possible to remove that funny looking silver cap on the bulbs of the high beams?That's a reflective coating that is integral to the way the bulb operates. If you remove it, the lamp won't burn as brightly, and you'll have no semblance of a beam pattern.

jplacson
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Oh all right... thanks everest, mobius.

Thinking of getting a set... being sold here for almost US$400.

Don McAdams
04-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Here is my write up on some of the parts needed to connect things...

http://e30m3therealm3.com/e34/

HTH~

genphreak
04-06-2005, 04:22 AM
What a PIA! Depo are slackers... can't even put the right plugs on em... talk about bodgy. :) GP

I had one of their rear lights, the stud bolt broke tightening it lightly, the metal failed. should have cracked the plastic first... not that i was doing it up in any way hard...