PDA

View Full Version : Enginebay Fuel Fumes Smell

saintlucifa
03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I recently purchased and fitted an EAT performance chip to our '88 535i motorsport (automatic) and I am more than happy with the increased performance and responsiveness. However, after only a few weeks of zipping around I have noticed the smell of petrol from the engine bay. I also fear that fuel consumption is up too. I'm not entirely sure though, as I drive with a little more spirit due to the chip I think.

Performance hasn't dropped and I don't feel any hesitation.
The engine does hunt during idle sometimes and sometimes also settles at 1000rpm at idle. A little blip on the accelerator and it drops back down to normal.

During a long trip last week the trip computer told me that I was only achieving 12mpg. This week I kept a close eye on the trip computer and attempted to drive passively, achieving 26mpg. I assumed that the EAT chip might offer better economy diring passive driving.
I have recently (past few months) changed to using 97.5 octane fuel, which is most certainly smelly.

Someone suggested that I might have a blown gasket within the injection system (not having seen the car though).

Any idea what might be the problem? Do I actually have a problem?
Thanx

632 Regal
03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
check the hoses at the fuel rail, may only leak when driving relating to pressure.

saintlucifa
03-26-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks. I have just noticed another thread in "bimmer.info" addressing the same subject: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8054

... in case someone else is looking for a similar resolve.