PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Problems

BobGardner
03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
this is a wierd one. i drove up to the place my carpool meets to go to school, i turn my car off and listen to music. when i turn it on again and get moving, i notice that im in fourth gear and im still going 0 mph. i got home and checked the speed sensor plug behind the differential to no avail, and the same goes for the back of the instrument panel. the strange part is that while the cruise control, avg mpg, avg mph, and speedometer dont work, the odometer does. im hoping its a speed sensor problem because i dont even want to think about what a new instrument panel would cost. i did the whole "replace the capacitors" thing about a year and a half ago when EVERYTHING on the panel stopped working. im at a loss here because i cant figure out why the odometer still works when everything else doesnt. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Bob Gardner

Kalevera
03-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Speed sensor is cheap to buy and relatively easy to replace. Try it and see what happens. The speedo is directly connected to that sensor...there's nothing in between. Still doesn't explain why the ODO continues to work.

Javier
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
speed sensor pulsating signal is received by the dash board and converted for the use of the rest of the instruments in the car, will bet that also the speedometer uses the converted signal, but the odometer would only count pulses from the speed sensor. So my guess is that the converting circuit is not working.

Only chance to be the speed sensor would be, it is sending a very weak signal and the converting circuit is not getting that low level, but the odometer does.

I would follow Lowell's advice, easy check before diving into the dash board.

Also check all fuses feeding the cluster (F1, F15, F17, F20).

Javier

BobGardner
03-24-2005, 11:53 PM
ive already checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. i will try the speed sensor and let you all know. your help is greatly appreciated. this car would have been long gone if not for y'all's assistance. thanks again.