PDA

View Full Version : Weird door locking issue

pmulry
03-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Here's an odd one. Perhaps 3 times in the last year, I've had this happen. It really freaked me out the first time, now it doesn't freak me out, but I sure wonder what's going on. It's certainly a safety issue that I need to fix. I think it has something to do with the security/alarm system.

Here's what happens, I think. It's hard to remember the exact sequence because it always seems to happen when I'm distracted by something else (cell phone ringing, conversation with wife in passenger seat, etc.). But I'll be driving the car for awhile with the doors locked, all windows/sunroof closed. Pull into a parking space, stop, shift the car into P, turn the key off. Attempt to open door, and the lock won't automatically unlock like it usually does when I pull on the interior driver's door handle. Pulling on the handle results in the driver's side door lock stem going up and down, but no disengagement of the lock.

Attempting to re-start the car does not work. The key will turn, but the starter doesn't engage. I don't think it's a tranny switch issue because when it's happened I've jiggled the auto tranny lever, moved it from P to N, etc., still no start. However, if I turn the key to on, the dash all lights up like normal and there's normal electrical system function in the car. Thus, I can power down the window, remove the key from the ignition, insert the key into the lock on the outside of the door, and then unlock all of the doors that way.

It's an extremely intermittant failure, which as you know makes it difficult to track down. Anybody run into something like this before?

Thanks in advance.

Beemrplt
03-25-2005, 08:03 AM
It sounds like an alarm problem keeping the doors double locked, but the starter not engaging does not seem right.

Unless you have different system then mine, when armed the same with the doors but the engine cranks, just no fuel or spark.

It happened 3 days ago in a parking lot, the engine cranked but did not start, turned the key off and on then it started...hummm just a fluke.. SO I THOUGHT untill it happened last night in the rain @ 65 mph EVERYTHING died, when I pulled over the engine just cranked untill I hit the sunroof control panel a few times.

I can't seem to find anything in the Bentley Manual on the system. so am about to pull the panel as I type this..

I'll let you know what I find it is any help to you

Javier
03-25-2005, 09:30 AM
starter immobilization relay commanded by the antitheft module. If you look at your power distribution box, you have no starter relay K1, but behind LH footwell speaker grille, you have an special K1w relay for the starter.

Guess you are getting the antitheft system engaged spontaneously.

Javier

Beemrplt
03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
I have a 94 540, and my alarm control theory just went out the window, the flatbed just left w/ my car on it.... DAMN Guess I'll have to dress warm for the next few days and ride the GS because it is not Spring in NJ yet.

pmulry
03-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Javier, that makes a lot of sense to me. I would test the relay, but given how infrequently and inconsistently the problem's occuring, I wouldn't expect the test to really give any reliable data. So should I just swap the relay for a new one and see if the problem ends?

Javier
03-25-2005, 01:21 PM
guess it is only following antitheft module instructions, as you also have door lock arrest issues. (I wonder, shouldn't be the horn making noise if antitheft is activated and you attempt to start the car?).

I would blame the antitheft module / keyless module, wonder why it is activating starter arrest and double locking the car if you did not open the driver's door. My car (1992 though) would not allow antitheft or double locking (lock arrest) until driver's door is opened and closed.

I would play a little with antitheft (an keyless if one) in order to fully understand operation, would try to engage it in the situation you described every thing happened, turning off engine, car in park..... If you can reproduce the issue voluntarily, you will then have to find what is causing it to happen spontaneously (may be you involuntarily trigger the issue!).

Javier