PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size for 15" rims

granit_silber
03-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey guys,

I'm replacing the tires on my 5er and wanted your thoughts about the sizing.

I'm staying with 15's because the tires are less expensive, have better tread life, and I found a set of rims that I like.

I will be going with a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Currently I'm running the stock 205/65/15, but am thinking about 225/60/hr15. I like the idea of a wider footprint and as Winston-Salem, NC doesn't get much snow annually, am more concerned with wet and dry traction than snow use.

I know that I will lose about 1 mpg due to the wider rubber, any other considerations?

-ashley

western99
03-24-2005, 12:27 PM
One - You will feel the road more, which will mean that you will notice that your car will veer more often with uneven pavement, cracks in the road etc.

Two - You will definitely feel bumps in the road to be more harsh than what you are used to.

Three - Ride will feel a bit firmer, especially on cornering.

Just my 2c through experience.

Brian

Russell
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I would highly recommend bridgestone Turanzas LS-H. I replaced my old 65 series Toyos with 225/60/15 tires and am very pleased with handling in rain, dry and snow/ice. I do think the ride is a bit harsher. However, I had worn front struts until recently. Tirerack recommends these tires for their smooth ride. They are an all season touring tire, not a high performance tire. I may have lost 1 mile per gallon. not sure.

I have 20,000 miles on them and they "look" about 1/2 worn out. I commute daily on two lane roads. I have no vibration or shimmy. They are on stock wheels.

Just my experience

Hey guys,

I'm replacing the tires on my 5er and wanted your thoughts about the sizing.

I'm staying with 15's because the tires are less expensive, have better tread life, and I found a set of rims that I like.

I will be going with a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Currently I'm running the stock 205/65/15, but am thinking about 225/60/hr15. I like the idea of a wider footprint and as Winston-Salem, NC doesn't get much snow annually, am more concerned with wet and dry traction than snow use.

I know that I will lose about 1 mpg due to the wider rubber, any other considerations?

-ashley

granit_silber
03-24-2005, 01:53 PM
One - You will feel the road more, which will mean that you will notice that your car will veer more often with uneven pavement, cracks in the road etc.

Two - You will definitely feel bumps in the road to be more harsh than what you are used to.

Three - Ride will feel a bit firmer, especially on cornering.

Just my 2c through experience.

Brian

Why would 225/60 be a harsher ride than 205/65? according to my math (although I was a music major in college) there will be a larger % of sidewall with the 225's than with the 205's. I thought that sidewall percentage was one of the determining factors in ride quality.

Will the tires catch more grooves and veer more because of the wider footprint?
-ashley

western99
03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
The first number is the width of your tire and the second is the aspect of the sidewall and the 3rd is the diameter of the wheel. From what you indicated you are going to a wider tire, with a lower profile sidewall, which means that you will have more contact and friction to the ground as well as less flex in the sidewall. Here is a good link from the tire rack that may of use to you. Hope this helps. But overall, you will have better cornering and better stopping power. Expect wear on new your tires to be worse than your current tires due to the above.

Brian

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.jsp

Why would 225/60 be a harsher ride than 205/65? according to my math (although I was a music major in college) there will be a larger % of sidewall with the 225's than with the 205's. I thought that sidewall percentage was one of the determining factors in ride quality.

Will the tires catch more grooves and veer more because of the wider footprint?
-ashley

califblue
03-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I have the Sachs kit w/15" basket weaves w/ 225/60 Sport SP DA2 Dunlops and in 10K all is good I rotate every 5k and it rides nice...I am think about the traction TA myself next time... FYI, you can order them at Costco

Kalevera
03-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi Ashley. I'd go with the 225/60's. It's a fine tire size for NC driving, and I think the benefits outweigh the setbacks (are there any?!)

When I had 225/60's on my car, it rode perfectly. Handling wasn't all that great what with the gigantic sidewall, but what can I say :)

best, whit

granit_silber
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Ashley. I'd go with the 225/60's. It's a fine tire size for NC driving, and I think the benefits outweigh the setbacks (are there any?!)

When I had 225/60's on my car, it rode perfectly. Handling wasn't all that great what with the gigantic sidewall, but what can I say :)

best, whit

Thanks Whit and all of you who answered my questions.
I'll be ordering thew tires tonight.
-ashley

Derek A.
03-24-2005, 10:41 PM
I run a 225/60-15 in the summer. 205/65-15 in the winter. For the roads around Michigan its a great wheel/tire size. The tires are inexpensive and the car rides nice. For a stock suspension you cannot go wrong. Every 17" wheel BMW that comes into the shop has a bent wheel somewhere.