PDA

View Full Version : any electrical wizards in here?

spoolinturbo
03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
i have a 89 535i. And what I have noticed is that, ok first time it happened, i lost all control over wipers, windows, radio, the computer thing, all go dead. But i push the defrost key, sometimes it kicks on which threw me towards a relay issue or maybe a short, i take apart the rear seat and much to my dismay...an ugly mess of wires, some of which are cut. I open the trunk and look at the harness back there, same thing, some wires are cut and bound together...while others are crossing where they should apparently not be. Now...whats the deal here, think I should just color code what i can and see what happens, I mean when i jostle the wires around, not even intentionally attempting anything, just seeing if thats the issue...BOOM power to everything and that day I was in a rush, so i left it be and drove, then i hit a bump hard...boom out again. So it has to be that...what do you all think? oh and whats weird is that when I would attempt to push the defrost button to kick it back on, if it wouldnt the display under the speedo would say door open, and ding like crazy irratic...scary. makes me just want to buy a newer 540IL :(

Rory
03-24-2005, 06:48 AM
i have a 89 535i. And what I have noticed is that, ok first time it happened, i lost all control over wipers, windows, radio, the computer thing, all go dead. But i push the defrost key, sometimes it kicks on which threw me towards a relay issue or maybe a short, i take apart the rear seat and much to my dismay...an ugly mess of wires, some of which are cut. I open the trunk and look at the harness back there, same thing, some wires are cut and bound together...while others are crossing where they should apparently not be. Now...whats the deal here, think I should just color code what i can and see what happens, I mean when i jostle the wires around, not even intentionally attempting anything, just seeing if thats the issue...BOOM power to everything and that day I was in a rush, so i left it be and drove, then i hit a bump hard...boom out again. So it has to be that...what do you all think? oh and whats weird is that when I would attempt to push the defrost button to kick it back on, if it wouldnt the display under the speedo would say door open, and ding like crazy irratic...scary. makes me just want to buy a newer 540IL :(
Plenty of info in the archinves on this one...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7980&highlight=fusible+link
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/search.php?searchid=73586

Good Luck,
Rory

03-24-2005, 08:04 AM
try your fusible link tracered( pos) from battery to front speaker near paaasenger speaker well it's a fusible link it joins the wire the red one may have to lift carpert by door to trace red wire and find ur problem

Jon K
03-24-2005, 10:08 AM
As stated, definitely fusibile link. Look at the chunky fat part of your battery terminal under the seat. Jiggle it around if **** flickers you know what's up.

spoolinturbo
03-25-2005, 12:30 AM
that does sound like the symptoms, gives me something else to look at. thanx for the help guys!