PDA

View Full Version : Burning Oil

KingSix
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I just did an oil change about 3 weeks ago, since that time my car has been running a lot better.. until last night, there was a scent of burning oil in the cabin after I came to a complete stop...not strong, but enough to get your attention. When I checked under the hood there was a small amount of smoke coming fron the firewall end of the motor seeming to be coming from above the exhuast manifold but its very hard to see in that confined space, again, not a great deal of smell or smoke, just enough to catch the eye. I checked the oil level this A.M. and there seems to be no significant loss, I checked the coolant also, clear (no oil)...a compression test reveals everything is where it should be ...other than a line being back there what do you guys think it could be ? Unless its the beginning of the head gasket and its not a big enough crack to cause damage, power loss or mixing of fluids yet , I was thinking maybe valve cover gasket ? This just doesn't have the feel of a head gasket ... I was just wondering if some of you guys with M30's have had this experience before ... the pic shows where the smoke is coming from .... almost directly below the filler cap

632 Regal
03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
probably valve cover. can you reach your fingers behind or around the back to see if its wet with oil?

Kalevera
03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
I agree with Jeff. Mine smokes a bit sometimes from that area when the valve cover castle nuts aren't completely torqued. It results in a little seepage that burns off the block.

First time I saw it happen, I was sure I had blown the headgasket.

My car burns no oil, TMK.

best, whit

632 Regal
03-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Maybe a slip of the wrist when dumping in a court of oil is seeping its way down there?

KingSix
03-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I was thinking that too.. but since the driveway was just repaved, I'm real careful about that kinda thing .. I used a funnel... besides that would have burned off by now.. or so one would think .. anyway.. the gasket kit is on its way to me as we speak so hopefully by Friday this will have been resolved.. if not..... does anybody know where I can find a complete Alpina B10 BiTurbo motor ? LMAO .....

angrypancake
12-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Took a while to find this one....

For about 4 days now I've been exhibiting smoke from the same place as KingSix's picture, except I can't place where it's coming from. As per Jeff's response, there is no oil on the back of the valve cover, and that has a new gasket. The smoke is blue/grey in color, which suggests oil, however it smells like absolute ****. Not a burning oil smell at all. It takes a while for it to be prevelant, if I turn the car on and let it sit, it takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes of idle until the smoke shows itself. It seems to be coming from under the valves, down by the exhaust, but that is best speculation. I wish I could get under the car and check, but theres about 4" of snow in the driveway and no heated garage :(. Ugh, I feel like I post a different problem every day, so let me take the opportunity to thank all for their quick and amazingly helpful responses, and continued support of everyone and their projects. It wouldn't be a project if it didn't cause the word **** to be used in noun, adjective, conjunction, interjection, verb (both transitive and intransitive, active and passive) and adverbial form :)

Jon K
12-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Took a while to find this one....

if you ever sell your rims let me know.

peks
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
probably spilled a little oil down there.. the exhaust manifold gasket right there is some sort of fibrous stuff and soaks it up. then it will smoke a little for a looong time. otherwise try putting in a new valve cover gasket. it wouldnt hurt to do a valve adjustment anyway.

duckloads
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
oil pressure sender

Traian
12-05-2005, 05:21 PM
My car has a bit of burned oil smell when driven hard, and a valve cover gasket leak as well. I believe the oil drips onto the exhaust manifold and burns off which is what smells, also would explain there is never any oil on the ground or funky looking smoke from the exhaust. It's been picking up pace gradually, I now have to top it up every 2000km or so. When some cash flow comes in I will try to tackle the problem or outsource it to a shop: one place quoted me ~$400 CAD to replace both and the little bolt gaskets as well.

angrypancake
12-05-2005, 05:36 PM
My car has a bit of burned oil smell when driven hard, and a valve cover gasket leak as well. I believe the oil drips onto the exhaust manifold and burns off which is what smells, also would explain there is never any oil on the ground or funky looking smoke from the exhaust. It's been picking up pace gradually, I now have to top it up every 2000km or so. When some cash flow comes in I will try to tackle the problem or outsource it to a shop: one place quoted me ~$400 CAD to replace both and the little bolt gaskets as well.

It doesnt even have to be driven hard, or driven at all for that matter. Smoke/smell after 5-10min of idle. I changed the valve cover gasket, and made sure everything was torqued to spec, felt around, no oil seepage. I took it to the indy this afternoon, it's ~7 mile drive, when I got there the smoke wasn't that much more than what it normally is. Now the waiting game. But the coolest part is, since both my father and I take our cars there and we've spent like a zillion dollars...Instead of charging me they're gonna let me do any necessary repairs myself, under the careful supervision of the tech. Score. He will diagnose it and call me tomorrow or wednesday.