PDA

View Full Version : M5 sound?????!!!??? WTF?

e34it
03-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Ok question, when i drive my M5 (give the vehicle gas) when in motion or sitting still i get this noise sounds like a grind sound sort of, or more of a whirr sound, i dont think its normal, any ideas what it may be? Its not the normal whistiling sound the m5 gives, i know that sound, its different definitely engine related, im lost???

Interceptor
03-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Ok question, when i drive my M5 (give the vehicle gas) when in motion or sitting still i get this noise sounds like a grind sound sort of, or more of a whirr sound, i dont think its normal, any ideas what it may be? Its not the normal whistiling sound the m5 gives, i know that sound, its different definitely engine related, im lost???
How many km does it have? How does the car perform? Did you make a leakdown test? It's very hard to notice power loss in strong cars like an M5. MPower engines do not last as long as the normal BMW engines. Where an M30/M50 can last upto 600k km, S38 lasts about 250k km.

e34it
03-23-2005, 08:09 AM
208 km , everything is good as far as i know , its just a strange noise i talked to someone who thought it could be the valves tapping , that may be the sound i am getting, im not sure it doesnt seem serious, i hope it isnt, any more ideas

Brandon J
03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Make sure your belts have been changed and are not slipping. Also, the noise could be that you have air in your powersteering. So, regular maintenance should be done, belts and fluids, first before digging into other things.

e34it
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
ok. i do have a small power steering leak, its almost like a wheel bearing gone bad kinda sound, but without the wheels moving, its only when you give it throttle vehicle at idle or in motion, its not really loud, but i can hear it inside the car with the radio off, and at lower speeds more than crusing speeds, its sounds closer to the firewall i think but im not sure, i dont think its seriuos but its damn annoying?????

Kalevera
03-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm assuming that you can hear it in the engine bay (versus just in the cabin)? Get a helper and have them give it some gas while you stick your ear around the valve cover area. See if you can't pinpoint that sucka.

My M30 has a nasty tick around the #3 cylinder. I've never figured out what it is -- could be the injector, could be a worn cam lobe. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse, nor does it seem to affect performance, so I live with it. It's only annoying (I guess) at idle, as it makes the car sound bad -- the other day, a friend asked, "is it a diesel?" hahaha

Don't e34 m5's have dual mass flywheels?

Also, a bit more info on the lifespan of the S38: harboring some concerns about their longevity, I asked Brett Anderson about it. He didn't seem to think that was entirely the case that they required a rebuild at ~150k and mentioned an e34 M5 that he personally owned to a buck and some change before selling it, and notes it still being in excellent condition despite presently nearing two clicks. Of course, the bad **** never happens to professional mechanics :)

best, whit

Jr ///M5
03-23-2005, 05:11 PM
The Getag 280 transmissions that are used in the M5 are known to make a certain amount of whirring/grinding noise. It's obvious at idle, especially when warm, idling in neutral. Will the sound disappear when the clutch is pushed in? If so, it's normal for some noise, but too much can mean a failing throw out bearing.

Jr

Brandon J
03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm assuming that you can hear it in the engine bay (versus just in the cabin)? Get a helper and have them give it some gas while you stick your ear around the valve cover area. See if you can't pinpoint that sucka.

My M30 has a nasty tick around the #3 cylinder. I've never figured out what it is -- could be the injector, could be a worn cam lobe. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse, nor does it seem to affect performance, so I live with it. It's only annoying (I guess) at idle, as it makes the car sound bad -- the other day, a friend asked, "is it a diesel?" hahaha

Don't e34 m5's have dual mass flywheels?

Also, a bit more info on the lifespan of the S38: harboring some concerns about their longevity, I asked Brett Anderson about it. He didn't seem to think that was entirely the case that they required a rebuild at ~150k and mentioned an e34 M5 that he personally owned to a buck and some change before selling it, and notes it still being in excellent condition despite presently nearing two clicks. Of course, the bad **** never happens to professional mechanics :)

best, whitThere is a person here in Chicago who has an M5 with over 200k miles and no rebuild. It is still going very strong. 3.6L M5s have single mass ~12lbs flywheels. The 3.8L came with a dual mass that was about twice as heavy. Many 3.8L owners upgrade to the single mass design of the 3.6L.

I know of several other owners, 3.6L and 3.8L, that have a groan in the front and is noticeable at idle and at warmer temps. A few have changed and flushed the power steering with success. Others have changed and tightened the belts with success. A few have had not change at all. Culprit could be the A/C or power steering, but since it isn't broken, they don't mess with it. Do what Jr also said in ruling out the tranny.

These engines sing very loud with all types of melodies. That's what is sooooo rewarding. No exhaust, no intake, just pure ///M.

e34it
03-24-2005, 03:06 AM
How much would a throw out bearing cost to replace? If i push in the clutch and let off the throttle the sound will stop? i dont know????im new to the m5