PDA

View Full Version : How long to keep older cars? Good ROUNDEL article

Warren N.CA
02-19-2004, 04:53 PM
2/04 issue. Jenny Morgan pg 94.

Talks about parts availability problems potentially starting at the 15 year mark. Presumabaly this refers mostly to 15 years after last year made, or starting in 2010 for E34.

Geoff Hoad
02-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Warren,

For those of us not in the US can you recap the key points the article makes? I think many of us reflect Bill R's attitude when he said they could pry his dead fingers from the wheel.

Thanks,

Geoff

AllanS
02-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Her article was a bunch of ********. To sum it up, she says:

------------------------------
all cars are junk waiting to happen, any car over 25yo should be in a museum or junked, anyone who drives a 25yo car daily is an idiot, cheapskate, or wacko, etc.

it's better to drive an old car once in a blue moon than every day if you really love it
------------------------------

I think it's ******** though, and that letting your old car sit around is the worst thing that you could do. My stepfather has an 88' 944S, a really nice, low mileage car, that just sits around his garage and rots. Each time he starts it, something else breaks, because it's not getting used. I know that's a poor example, but that's how I feel.

Her other ******** comments are based around the 2002 and how parts are getting scarce or something. Personally, I see 2002 parts listed all over the place, but then again, I don't own an 02.

What's funny, is that 2 pages over, Mike Self rights an article titled "Unless it's rare, it's meant to be driven" which totally contradict's Morgan's incoherent ramblings.

632 Regal
02-19-2004, 09:00 PM
not to put down anyone with them interests just that she dont ...ummm
nevermind...i forget

winfred
02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
oooooookay

632 Regal
02-19-2004, 11:01 PM

Geoff Hoad
02-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Well experience and logic suggests that driving a car is going to keep it in better shape than sticking it in a museum. Maybe that's why both MB and BMW regularly driv etheir classics and on some pretty serious drives as well as on the track. In another ten years the Black Beast will be a vintage car (and I will be a vintage driver) and the way the old dear is driving now I want to keep her going. By the way, my daily driver, a little E30 318i is now 18 years old and has done nearly 300,000 kms, doesn't drive nor act its age (a bit like me in that respect) is still going to be driven well into the forseeable future with everything as original.

Thanks for the feedback.

Geoff