PDA

View Full Version : First Car, 1989 535

McWatters
03-22-2005, 10:52 PM
hey Im 16 and i just got a 1989 535i., picked it up for about 4 grand.

I absolutely love the thing. has a good 300,000 klicks on , but whos countin eh?

The baby still rides like a puma. Have a custom muff on it adds some deep sound to it.

I was just wondering if any of u e34 experienced folk could tell me what i should look out for and what i should do if i want to keep this baby alive. Seeing how it is my first car it is very important to me and i would like to keep her goin as long as possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Only thing ive done is put brand new tires on her.

Thanks alot

-Joel.M

digitaldragon03
03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey look, another teen with an e34, your gonna love the car. You made a great decision, its nice to know that not all teens go for the riced out honda thing. If there were more like us, the world would truley be a better place. ;)

McWatters
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Hey look, another teen with an e34, your gonna love the car. You made a great decision, its nice to know that not all teens go for the riced out honda thing. If there were more like us, the world would truley be a better place. ;)

haha man the last thing u would ever see me do would be me picking up a honda.

i go for class, and true power

-J.M

darron525
03-22-2005, 11:32 PM
check out www.bmwe34.net. Read the maintenance items, under troubleshooting read what will break,and then read upgrades. This will give a good overall ideal of the car.

congrats and welcome,
darron

McWatters
03-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks alot for the input , and the welcome

lookin forward to those indeep postings haha

Cheers
-J.M

Kalevera
03-22-2005, 11:35 PM
advice? yes - don't drive it like a jackass and raise my insurance premiums :)

I'd have a good look at the following:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

And unless you've got PROOF that the fluids and maintenance have been kept up to date, I would flush the coolant and replace with BMW Cool Blue (inspect/change the tstat and water pump while you're at it), bleed the brakes/replace with ATE Super Blue or typ 200, replace trans filter and fluid with Redline (mt or atf depending), and put redline synthetic (75w90 w/LSD additive if you have a 3.91 LSD) in the diff.

Oh, and don't go cheap unless you wanna do it over again :)

best, whit

digitaldragon03
03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
advice? yes - don't drive it like a jackass and raise my insurance premiumsBut where is the fun in that???

McWatters
03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Haha ill keep you and every other fine BMW driver's insurance premium in mind.

But HEY! wait a min Im Canadian Eh , why should u care about my driving. It doesnt affect the States does it?

Thanks for the advice
-J.M

Kalevera
03-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Haha...I'm just ****ing around with you. (ahem, pardon my french). Canadians are great. One of my best buddies is from Canada. That means I know all of you, right? :)

I admit that driving fast is more of a concern for me since I've had this car. But I've managed to limit it to clear highways....and I've got a Valentine One v1.8 (which doesn't stop those assclowns in southern Ohio with their instant on laser guns, but oh well).

Bet you're glad that snow season's almost done up there :)