PDA

View Full Version : 95 525i 168k Is it worth it?

wishihad50k
03-22-2005, 08:53 PM
I was wondering what everyone though about when to start moding a car?
My 95 525i has 168,000 miles on it, its got some minor dings and dents, the engine has a small tick and the hood is oxydized.... Should I start moding it? :D The car has been taken good care of (mechanically) but I am concerned that with 168k miles on it, moding it may be a wast of money or speed up the death of the engine. I am just looking at an E.A.T. chip, new suspension, maybe new exhaust, new wheels, etc. Am I crazy to put this kind of $$$ into a 10 year old car?

Tcdoe
03-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't say you're crazy for modding a 10 year old car, it's the newest e34 model year there is! As for the rest, it's kind of up to you.. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've heard. But if you're after performance I'd be looking into upgrading to a 540 or an M5.

bimmerd00d
03-22-2005, 09:10 PM
i've got a '93 with 211k, and i am in love. little tip for the M50, 10w30 or thicker to cure that tapping. let some jackass rear end you and get it repainted! haha. fix her up, you wont be let down at all.

Tcdoe
03-22-2005, 09:15 PM
let some jackass rear end you and get it repainted!
I was wondering about your signature pic but now I see, you've had it repainted! :D

wishihad50k
03-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Would you say that the E.A.T. chip will put stress on the engine that could cause engine failure?

Beez540
03-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Would you say that the E.A.T. chip will put stress on the engine that could cause engine failure?

haven't heard of such things happening.

As far as modding an older / high mileage car... why not?

The car has already depreciated down to the point where it's value will settle, dependent upon regular maintenance and good care.

It's prime time to get creative and customize you ride if you intend to keep it. Just choose your equipment carefully, and remember that the more extreme changes you make will require a greater initial investment as well as more costly maintenance.

McWatters
03-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Heck im 16 and my car is one year younger then me, I was deffinately hoping to mod it. Dont break my heart by saying i shouldnt man. that just wouldnt be good at all! :)

Dont go breakin my heart!
-J.M

Kalevera
03-22-2005, 11:22 PM
I've spent in the area of $6000 on my 220k+ 535 in the past few months, and I still haven't addressed the cosmetic issues (read: paint and lots of dents).

Do you like the car?

'Cause I really like mine and am planning on getting 400k out of it, which should be at least 5 years of service. Yeah, I'll have to replace a few things before then, but my logic here is that the e34 is still a very "modern" car both in terms of looks and features (how many cars off of dealer lots have HEATED DOOR LOCK CYLINDERS?!). To have NO car payment and spend $10k over a period of 5 years (quite possibly longer) on maintenance/cosmetics for a car is a pretty damn good deal from my perspective. I mean, that's YUGO territory in terms of cost: $2,000 a year for a euro "limousine"? I'll take it.

It's a bimmer :) You can't do this with a chevy...or a toyota...or anything else, except perhaps with a merc. Ever had a head gasket fail or a timing chain slip on a w126 V8?

best, whit

bimmerd00d
03-22-2005, 11:55 PM

211k on my M50tu, had an EAT chip since 130k.

KingSix
03-23-2005, 12:00 AM
The only thing I can add to that is good luck finding parts to "mod" your car... unless your driving a 3 series, theres not much out there as far a cosmetic upgrades are concerned ... a little bit more as far as performance upgrades( speaking for the m30 mill )and with whats out there it will never be a true "performance car" spirited yes, but this thing will never touch my '86 GLHS 'course I doubt very highly an ///m5 would hang with that bad boy... still though.. I can't seem to bring myself to part with this car, as much as I want to sometimes ...

Kalevera
03-23-2005, 12:17 AM
What's a GLHS?

- lowell

Kamil
03-23-2005, 12:26 AM
What's a GLHS?

- lowell

Plymouth Horizon on steroids.

Kalevera
03-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Haha...used to have one of those...two, actually, in the family. One got tboned, the other got traded. Both were the four door version.

http://www.shelbyregistry.com/pages/86glhs.html

http://www.shelbyregistry.com/pages/87glhs.html

Aaah! It's actually a dodge duster!!! Hahaha -- what a crazy 4 banger. Man, my dad had one of those in the late 80's. In fact, that car was involved in an accident in our driveway, of all places. I think he got $100 for it in like...94...when the brakes went and they decided not to fix 'em.

Are those things based on the K car frame? Aside from the Jeep ZJ/WJ, and XJ, I know nothing about mopar.

best ,whit

liquidtiger720
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
It's a bimmer :) You can't do this with a chevy...or a toyota...or anything else, except perhaps with a merc. Ever had a head gasket fail or a timing chain slip on a w126 V8?

best, whit

o00o? you know alot about the w126? My dad has one (81 380sel wit 108k miles to be exact) and I am having trouble finding parts/info on it.

KingSix
03-23-2005, 08:36 AM
A GLHS is actually a Dodge Omni, not a Plymouth Horizon.. and I've had mine since I was in High School ... smoked the motor in 88 ( go figure) and replaced the whole deal with a VNT job out of a Dodge Shadow ( another Shelby deal) .. any way this car is a lot faster than it should be, its kinda scary actually