PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen please clean your damned microfilters!!

Jon K
03-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Makes a WORLD of difference!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/andreak/filter.jpg

Kalevera
03-22-2005, 11:17 PM
I would if I had one :)

Nick.Hay
03-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Wouldn't my dealership servicing include replacing the element when neccessary??

jplacson
03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Same here... is there anyway to retrofit a filter of some kind to pre-microfilter models? Where can I position a filter?

Alan_525i
03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Wouldn't my dealership servicing include replacing the element when neccessary??

It does if you have them perform the normal Inspection I and II. If you are only having them do oil changes and not following the rather lengthly service schedule then no. Check your invoices and see if you were charged for it.

Johntee540
03-23-2005, 10:21 AM
What is the recommended Service Interval for Microfilters. I changed mine about a year ago. Just wondering what people use as guideline. - JT

Jon K
03-23-2005, 11:17 AM
What is the recommended Service Interval for Microfilters. I changed mine about a year ago. Just wondering what people use as guideline. - JT

15k miles i think

Paul_540i
03-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Probably explains why my airflow is utterly crap then. Unfortunately it's not a job I'm looking forward to though, supposedly a nightmare on RHD cars :(

PhilipJCaputo
03-23-2005, 03:10 PM
ordered from bma today.... their over-the-phone price was 2 bucks lower than their web price!

Wyn
03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I have a feeling I know what I will be doing as soon as I get home.

mike wong
03-24-2005, 12:54 AM
even though your e34 may not have one, it may have just been omitted. the slot to squeeze in a M/F, could exist. It can be a PITA just to check it out, but even if there is NOT a slot, you might be able to clean out the area in front of the evaporator.

Use a vacuum cleaner with long snout and various size brushes to loosen trapped dirt and leaves. As another posted previously, cleaning could improve airflow.

Jon K
03-24-2005, 10:20 AM
even though your e34 may not have one, it may have just been omitted. the slot to squeeze in a M/F, could exist. It can be a PITA just to check it out, but even if there is NOT a slot, you might be able to clean out the area in front of the evaporator.

Use a vacuum cleaner with long snout and various size brushes to loosen trapped dirt and leaves. As another posted previously, cleaning could improve airflow.

Seriously guys the job isn't that hard. I will summarize real quick:

Reach around glove box...
1) Pop the holders on the back that hold it to the rod
2) Drop clips on front fabric/piston glove box support
3) Drop glovebox put aside
4) Remove glovebox ceiling, about 3 or 4 screws, unplug lamp connector
5) Remove one screw from floor carpet panel, pull toward front of car and out
6) Unscrew/clip the flashlight holder panel on left side of glove box area, undo harness on back for flashlight.
7) Find the green cover back toward the firewall and undo the bottom screw, turn the top knob about 15 degrees counter-clockwise, slide out.

Done

20 mins

rickm
03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
There are instruction at bmwe34.net for doing this, once you do it it's easy. http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/gen_maintenance/filters.htm

granit_silber
03-24-2005, 10:33 AM
It does if you have them perform the normal Inspection I and II. If you are only having them do oil changes and not following the rather lengthly service schedule then no. Check your invoices and see if you were charged for it.

Most dealerships really, really, really don't like changing the micro-filter (even though they often charge you for it). In fact, my indy (who is awesome!) has two prices for the inspections on the E34; one including the filter change, and one without the change.

With as dirty as Jon's filter was, I bet it was the first change in a while (possibly the first change ever).

Anyway, have a great day!
-ashley