PDA

View Full Version : On the heels of Jon K's steering wheel conv.

Shaun
03-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I have what I think is an E39/E36/E46 M-Sport steering wheel here. It's got the same physical connector as my current bag, though it's yellow instead of orange. Is there a significance to the color? Anybody know when BMW moved away from the single stage bags that would be compatible with my car?

I know some of this was covered in relation to Jon K's wheel, but my wheel is a lot more similar to the stock wheel on my 1995 540i than the E46 Jon has.

Thanks for any input guys :D

http://black.plague.org/pictures/bmw/m-wheel2.jpg

billy in slo
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I too would love to change out my wheel but do not want to lose the airbag, here are a couple of links that may help.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45937

I have a question though. Are the wheels and airbags different within the e34 model range? I have a 90 535 but what about the later 530's and 540's and M cars? Any one know? Thanks.

George M
03-22-2005, 06:00 PM
The telltale for a dual stage inflator is the connector will have more terminals to fire the two independent inflator squibs. The inflator connector shown is for a single stage inflator common on earlier cars.
HTH,
George

Kamil
03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
FYI, this is NOT an E46 wheel.

late models ('98'/99?) E36 might have come with it or a similar one, but if I'd had to bet I'd say that it's of a '99 or newer E39 w/ sport package. :)

HTH,
-K

edit - it took me a minute to figure out that this wheel is placed on top of a glass table. :)

emw525E34
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
George,

So what you are saying is that the wheel Shaun has WILL work if it is the single stage firing for the airbag ?. Are the inout triggers the same though ?. Any body has ideas ?.

This is important cos a few of us are attempting something very similar. For me, an E46 4 sport wheel is coming, and I would like to see if my current E34 95 touring 4 spoke airbag can fit into the airbag space. I will cut the airbag cover if I have to, then recover with black leather. My 95 wheel is in such a sorry state, it has to go!.

I know the centre hub fitment is OK but airbag is a concern that needs to be addressed.

Jon K
03-22-2005, 08:56 PM
That's an E36 Wheel bro... it looks like, it COULD be an E39 M wheel, but its definitely not the E46 i don't think!

Anyway, I haven't confirmed fitment of the E36/39 hub bores... I have an E36 M3 wheel too though, i might try this weekend... although you could just do it now ;)

Jon K
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
George,

So what you are saying is that the wheel Shaun has WILL work if it is the single stage firing for the airbag ?. Are the inout triggers the same though ?. Any body has ideas ?.

This is important cos a few of us are attempting something very similar. For me, an E46 4 sport wheel is coming, and I would like to see if my current E34 95 touring 4 spoke airbag can fit into the airbag space. I will cut the airbag cover if I have to, then recover with black leather. My 95 wheel is in such a sorry state, it has to go!.

I know the centre hub fitment is OK but airbag is a concern that needs to be addressed.

I have an E46 4 spoke, non-sport wheel also, I am quite certain the 95 airbag won't fit, its much larger it seems... though I haven't tried.

Shaun
03-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes, I realized after posting, definitely not E46. However, I do know it fits onto the column; just not sure if there's an airbag available that will simply plug into my current bag plug. From the look of the yellow connector on the wheel, it's identical in shape, just differs in color. My concern is the second non orange/yellow connector with multiple wires. I had assumed this was for the missing radio buttons option, but after looking at some e39 m5 airbag pictures I'm not so sure any longer. The airbag unit itself seems to have the matching connector here... :-(

Jon K
03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Yes, I realized after posting, definitely not E46. However, I do know it fits onto the column; just not sure if there's an airbag available that will simply plug into my current bag plug. From the look of the yellow connector on the wheel, it's identical in shape, just differs in color. My concern is the second non orange/yellow connector with multiple wires. I had assumed this was for the missing radio buttons option, but after looking at some e39 m5 airbag pictures I'm not so sure any longer. The airbag unit itself seems to have the matching connector here... :-(

Even though the connectors look the same they seem to have internal little preventions from fitting. the new wheel is two stage, so one of the two connectors SHOULD fit in the old air bag, but when trying, it wouldn't. I dunno if an OEM bmw wheel is gonna retrofit with airbag support... we shall see.