PDA

View Full Version : Limits of an M50 motor

bjl4776
03-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I was wondering is anybody knew the limts of displacement that an M50 2.5l motor can be pushed too. I know that you can replace the stock crank with that from a M52 to get 2.8l, but can a crank from a s52 3.2l be used to make even more, and how much can it be bored out too. Is it possible to make the 3.2l block that is found in s52 out of an M50 or would this be pushing it. I have a spare M50 and was wondering how big of an NA monster I could make out of it. Maybe dual valvesprings, titanium retainers, larger valves, radical cams, and 13:1 cr, i figure I could make 400hp out of it, now wouldnt that be fun. I know it would be alot of time and money, but whats the fun of buying a 3.2 and dropping it in there, I would rather go through the experience and satisfaction of building it myself.

632 Regal
03-22-2005, 01:58 PM
is there coating in the cylinders like the V8s? IE: alusil/Nikasil.

I dont think anyone on here has ventured into max bore concepts, I think the best you can do is get it sonic tested to see how thick the cylinder walls are and go from there. Fill it with cement and go thinner or maybe even sleeve it might be options for strength. Might be able to get some sort of stock pistons from a large bore engine with the valve pockets in the general area and custom cut them to be exact. Watch for valve shrouding with them small combustion chambers if you go to big valves but you could grind some clearance there too. You could do a lot if the sky is the limit.

bjl4776
03-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Iv seen things that say that the non-vanos verson can be stroked out to 3.0 and the vanos version out to 2.9, with another .1 litre boring. The only difference between an M52 blco and an S52 block is 1mm bore difference, the rest is in the crank. I just want to get as big as possible, no replacement for displacemnt for those M30 guys. Ill be driving around the only 532 or 332 haven't decided which one it will drop into for now. I know I can go as big as my wallet when it comes to the head, but the block has its mechanical limits. Oh, and no coating because they are iron blocks

632 Regal
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
OK, have to look from the crank side to see how much more travel you can get physically...the pistons can be clearanced mattering on rod length and the crank throws and where the pin ends up at. The block might have limitations too.

Jose
03-22-2005, 05:14 PM
We´ve seen M50 engines bored up to 3,2 litres after using reinforced sleeves.But the costs involving such an increase are nuts and not really sensible unless you´re going to use it on the track.These engines pushed far over 300 bhp at the wheels but involved engine build cost over 15,000 Us. They where also iddling over 1200 rpm due to the very fast cams , high compression pistons ( approx.1:12.5 according to the builder) and Weber Alpha throttle bodies system. These engines only lasted for a few races after which they were completely disassembeled , checked and rebuild.
If you' ve got the cash, the sky is the limit.