PDA

View Full Version : E.A.T. chip cons

everest
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
I've had my e34 for only 5 months and totally love it. I just discovered this message board a few weeks ago, and it has already made owning my e34 even more enjoyable. However, I would like to add more HP to my 93 525. Putting it in S mode can only give you so much. I've read a lot of previoius posts, and everyone seems to give Mark D'Sylva's E.A.T. chips very positive reviews. I'm thinking of getting one, but want to know if there are any downsides to having one of these chips in an e34?

Also, can any 525 owners confirm the 22 peak HP gain stated on the bmwe34.net web site? And is there a noticeable increase in torque? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

bjl4776
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I think the only cons are increased fuel consumption and engine wear because you will want to drive it harder hehe :)

winfred
03-22-2005, 09:40 AM
actually once the tendency to stomp on it wears off the fuel mileage improves a tad, one or two mpg on the interstate

I think the only cons are increased fuel consumption and engine wear because you will want to drive it harder hehe :)

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree, improved fuel economy when you're not stomping on it.

But really the only negative might be the requirement for premium fuel. imho, that is really all that's being done with the eat chip, your car is now tuned for premium fuel, whereas before it was required to be able to handle regular and premium. With the EAT Chip, the timing is mapped perfectly for Premium Fuel only and can thus provide more power (through timing advancement), and be more efficient. Again, this is my opinion based on what I've heard, the more knowledgeable can certainly chime in.

MBXB
03-22-2005, 10:58 AM
I've been using the EAT chip for over a year and a half. Before that I had a Dinan, then a Conforti; no contest: EAT wins hands down. I haven't seen any downside other than the higher probability of getting a ticket, and the use of Premium fuel.
I think it should be the first mod any E34 owner should do regardless of model.
Thanks again, Mark D!

franks
03-23-2005, 12:13 AM
I was under the empresion from BMWE34 that the EAT chip does not require super, is that true? What happens if you run regular?