PDA

View Full Version : Code stomp test?

pundit
03-22-2005, 01:38 AM
My '90 535i doesn't respond to the 'stomp test'. I believe that some of the earlier 535's were not fitted with an engine check bulb as they remained on constantly due to the DME version? I not sure if mine is missing the engine check bulb or not, but as I now have an EAT chip should the 'stomp test' work if a missing engine check bulb was fitted? - TIA

bill g
03-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Yes it should. My car is Australian delivered 89 535i with EAT chip - their was no bulb in the check light socket. I connected a bulb as per information on bmwe34.net and stomp test works fine. I used a spare bulb from another socket on back of instrument panel, might have been rear foglights - just make sure it is the correct wattage.

bill g

Mobius
03-22-2005, 02:45 AM
If you turn the key to position 2 with the engine off; all the lights in the gauge cluster should light. This is so you can check if a bulb is burned out.

shogun
03-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Stomp test was only a requirement for US cars and maybe some Canadian are also eqipped with this. Environmental matters related to emission control.
Do not mix up the indication/warning in the check control with the stomp test.
Stomp test is completely different.
No European spec car has it, also not the Japanese specification cars.

Dave M
03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I tried the test once on a Canadian 91 525im and got no response. I assumed it was because there was nothing to read. I do have a check engine light in working order, but am now curious as to whether I can perform the stomp test. Should I be able to retrieve codes without the check engine light illuminated? If nothing is 'wrong' should I still get codes?

Curious

Dave M

632 Regal
03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
you still should get the good to go code.