PDA

View Full Version : Color match lower trim

byurko
03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
I want to paint the lower trim the same color as the rest of my car... Has anyone else done this? What is involved in removing the bumpers? Also, what about the trim around the bottom of the door?

I did this to a 97 Accord I once owned and it tastefully updated the look.

Thanks,
Bryan

Qube
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I want to paint the lower trim the same color as the rest of my car... Has anyone else done this? What is involved in removing the bumpers? Also, what about the trim around the bottom of the door?

I did this to a 97 Accord I once owned and it tastefully updated the look.

Thanks,
Bryan

Actually, I'm thinking about the same thing for my 535i '89. Going to check out my usual shop to see how much they want ;) The other option is to pick up an ACS kit... but somehow I think paint option is much cheaper. :p

TheDuke
03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I've been cosidering it since summer. I think only 95 models had side skirts painted and it looks relly cool.

Martin in Bellevue
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
The correct side skirts would be nice, especially with the wider throwing stars & 235 tires.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/535starbd.jpg

Qube
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
How much did it cost to paint the lower trim?

I asked a local shop and they quoted $550, $400 and $600 CAD (yeah)

Then I asked a fellow that services many of the local shops he quoted $100 CAD :) He does a great job too.

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 08:10 PM
i like the black better, looks sleeker.

TheDuke
03-29-2005, 08:16 PM
In my opinion:
Black = Classical
Color = more sporty
It all depends what look you are going after.

Qube
03-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Sporty is what I'm looking for ;)

So... any prospective prices from people that have done this?

pmlmotorsports
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
I to was considering the do-it-yourself method, but since the factory rocker is painted with a textured paint, I decided too much orange-peel would be visible, so I nixed te idea. I can only offer new Racing Dynamics side skirts w/ hardware for $130 + shipping, and they will have to be painted. Hope this helps

Qube
03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Not bad price for skirts... considering another fellow in the other thread was asking $400 used, incomplete! :)

Still... I'm having them professionally painted at $100 CAD all around including the little piece under the doors. This is a 'cost-materials' only price ;) Just wanted to see what others paid... like the silly $600 CAD I was quoted from one place.

632 Regal
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
the orange peel look is from the type of flex additive they put in the paint. whoever repainted my hood didnt go to that extreme and I have a million little paint checks and some are leading to under paint rust... I can paint no problem but to try and match this stuff is an entire new facett of auto repair.

pmlmotorsports
03-29-2005, 11:54 PM
I agree, bMW metallics are tough enough, but when you have a car over 5 years old, the paint fades and it then becomes a recipe of guess work and computer analysis......sure hope the guy in the body shop had is computer analyzer calibrated and cleaned recently...........lol. Regardless, I've never seen a "undetectable match" EVER !!!!

KB535i
03-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I to was considering the do-it-yourself method, but since the factory rocker is painted with a textured paint, I decided too much orange-peel would be visible, so I nixed te idea. I can only offer new Racing Dynamics side skirts w/ hardware for $130 + shipping, and they will have to be painted. Hope this helps
Im very interested. Very. Can yu post pics or email pics to me at bekraig@cox.net ? thanks

TheDuke
03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I had my fender and half of the bumper done lately, can’t tell the difference from the other side. The guy who was doing it is an older painter with a lot of experience doing European cars; he charged me just $300 for doing it All the other places wanted to replace the entire fender and bumper for $1000 and up.