PDA

View Full Version : 535i engine cover

KingSix
03-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Hello Again ...

I ve seen the "dressup" engine covers for the 540, 525, I think maybe even the 530... does anybody make them for the 535i ? I also noticed that Racing Dynamics manufactures a chip for pretty much every version of the E34, with the exception of the 535i ...did I buy the forgotten brother of the E34 5 Series, or am I just looking in the wrong places ??

Kalevera
03-21-2005, 02:52 PM
nah, you bought the best one :)

Beyond cleaning up/painting/clearcoating the valve cover, there's not much you can put on an M30. I personally don't like the plastic look, but to each his own. There are a couple'a writeups floating around on cleaning up the valve cover. I started mine a few weeks ago with some serious degreaser to get rid of (some) of the cosmolene residue. I might pull and paint it eventually, but I can't afford to be without the car for more than a few days, which is what it takes, IIRC.

Are RD chips any good? Why not just get an EAT :)

best, whit

KingSix
03-21-2005, 03:40 PM
nah, you bought the best one :)

Beyond cleaning up/painting/clearcoating the valve cover, there's not much you can put on an M30. I personally don't like the plastic look, but to each his own. There are a couple'a writeups floating around on cleaning up the valve cover. I started mine a few weeks ago with some serious degreaser to get rid of (some) of the cosmolene residue. I might pull and paint it eventually, but I can't afford to be without the car for more than a few days, which is what it takes, IIRC.

Are RD chips any good? Why not just get an EAT :)

best, whit
I guess I am hesitant to spend the money on an EAT chip... because I have never heard of the company before I bought a BMW, I guess RD has been around for awhile.. along with the other "big names" , besides is the EAT chip really a performance upgrade? thats not the impresion I got from there website ... I'd love to get more info on these peices if I could ...

Robin-535im
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
While back there was a guy who wanted to pay $50 for a chip instead of $199 for an EAT. Later he posted about how bad the chip was and how it didn't do what was promised.

I don't recall anything but rave reviews of the EAT chip, and we have some of the most knowledgeable E34 people in the world on this board. You can buy a cheaper chip but not a better one.

Unfortunately there is no reliable dyno data on chips vs. eachother vs. stock - at least none that I came across in all my searching. Seat of the pants is the most I've ever seen and that points to the EAT as being the best. Mind you, it's not going to turn your M30 into an S38, but it will wake it up and fill in the flat spots.

HTH

Robin

Mitch90535im
03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Where is that picture of George M.'s engine? That one set the bar in my opinion.

Mobius
03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
You want to cover up an M30? They're goddamn beautiful!
http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/SA/535i/1639m.JPG

Kalevera
03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
You want to cover up an M30? They're goddamn beautiful!
http://home.comcast.net/~rjchristie2/SA/535i/1639m.JPG
"I know that's right!"

Paul in NZ
03-22-2005, 02:58 AM
here is georges red version from the inlet side
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/M-30DrSdResize.jpg

Jason
03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Im truly amazed everytime i look at it. And to think that it looks even better now with the silver valve cover.... Thats about all you can do Kriss, paint it and sand down the bars so it looks like the newer ones. I have the EAT chip in my car, i was hesitant too at first. But this many people on the board can't be wrong. You'll wonder why it didnt come from the factory with one.

kyleN20
03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
thats crazy clean, i wish i had the time

infinity5
03-22-2005, 09:11 PM
hmm, i dunno if its a matter of time, so much as cost. any tips for engine cleaning, while we're on the topic? i have assemebled a rather large list of engine compartment black-plastic pieces that are faded and would make it look new. Cleaning them has zero effect. all the black plastic, the valve covers, and hood insulation would make it look off-the-line for me. you'd have to look a lot closer to find the oil deposits and stuff. but then again, my engine is big enough that you really don't seem much else besides the engine covers.

anyone know how much new valve covers are for an m60? the online ETK's wild guess-generating-price-list says 160 a piece... i'd consider getting them powder coated except i couldn't be without my car for as long as it would take, so i figured oneday i'd just buy new ones. i'm not a big fan of fancy colors anyhow.

KingSix
03-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I love how a thread that started as a question about an aftermarket part (or the total lack of aftermarket parts) for a 535i gets turned into " this old bmw" and how to clean an engine bay ....

Qube
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I'd grab the EAT in a heartbeat... if higher octane gas wasn't so much more expensive!

infinity5
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
:) sorry... didn't mean to hijack or anything, but it already seemed like things were wandering away so i thought i'd start talking... a lot... it's a bad habit of mine

I love how a thread that started as a question about an aftermarket part (or the total lack of aftermarket parts) for a 535i gets turned into " this old bmw" and how to clean an engine bay ....

KingSix
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
not a problem.. its just funny to watch it slip off topic ...

Jeff N.
03-23-2005, 02:12 AM
RD chip sucks. I had one.

JC chip, not to bad. I have one now.

EAT chip. Could be the best. Got to try one for a while...niiiice.

Robin-535im
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Topics from your post are:
1) dressing up the engine
2) chipping the engine

All the replies I see are from people offering their experience on those two topics.

I know your first post here went a little sour, but people here are in love with their cars and really just want to help out other E34 owners. You'll have to be tolerant of going off on tangents if you want to really get the most out of the board.

- Robin

Badkrma
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Has anyone here tried that plastic renew (motorcycle product)? You can buy it at the motorcycle dealer, it is for MX plastic. I guess it makes the plastic fenders on MX motorcycles look like new and heaven knows that those plastics take a beating.

Just a thought for you Infinity5.

Stephen

KingSix
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Topics from your post are:
1) dressing up the engine
2) chipping the engine

All the replies I see are from people offering their experience on those two topics.

I know your first post here went a little sour, but people here are in love with their cars and really just want to help out other E34 owners. You'll have to be tolerant of going off on tangents if you want to really get the most out of the board.

- Robin
No worries.. I just think its funny.. just like any other forums on the net.. I will say there is a lot of info for the novice Beemer owner on here and most of the questions I have , have already been asked.. just takes some searching is all ... I guess whats frustrating is that there is little or no aftermarket support for this car( in the way of making it stand out from the other e34's out there ), or what there was has been discontinued ... it just bugs me when( and this is just an example) I can practically build any year Honda from the ground up using Carbon Fiber, but I can't find something a simple as hood for my car .. of well necessity is the mother of invention right ?

Mobius
03-24-2005, 03:02 AM
I guess whats frustrating is that there is little or no aftermarket support for this car( in the way of making it stand out from the other e34's out there )Don't worry. As these cars have finally sunk to a price level that's completely affordable for your average 16 year old, you'll see plenty of the parts you're looking for hit the market soon enough.

KingSix
03-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Don't worry. As these cars have finally sunk to a price level that's completely affordable for your average 16 year old, you'll see plenty of the parts you're looking for hit the market soon enough.

LOL so because I don't want to leave my car stock, I automatically get lumped in with the 16 yr olds huh ? Say what you will, there is a definate lack of aftermarket support for this car , BMW in general, unless of course you drive a 3(honda)series.. and by aftermarket I don't mean stickers and Nos, neon lights and big stereos ... I mean how about a replacement carpet ? How about a company like Katzkin making seat covers ? Rims ? Due to the metric sizing we are severly limited to our choices..Those of you who are content with stock... thats fine ,to each his own.. but don't lump me in with the 16 year olds.. I've got more time sleeping than you've got on this planet Mobius....

infinity5
03-24-2005, 03:20 PM
repalcement carpet would be nice, just becuase i'm sure the OE is expensive. and seat covers, besides lamb skin, would be nice as well. there are several body kits out there, they're just all really expensive :( What i'd really like to see is more storage options. theres so little room for anythting but you and your passagner. Anyone know where to get the little boxes that fit next to the parking brake?

I think the lack of aftermark parts stems from the fact that the type of people who buy these cars think of them the same way we think of expensive jewlery or clothes, its just a luxurious accesory.

what are you looking for exactly? have you seen the trunk lips they make for our cars? those are cool. i'd just be happy with skid skirts and bumps that were painted.

KingSix
03-24-2005, 05:23 PM
repalcement carpet would be nice, just becuase i'm sure the OE is expensive. and seat covers, besides lamb skin, would be nice as well. there are several body kits out there, they're just all really expensive :( What i'd really like to see is more storage options. theres so little room for anythting but you and your passagner. Anyone know where to get the little boxes that fit next to the parking brake?

I think the lack of aftermark parts stems from the fact that the type of people who buy these cars think of them the same way we think of expensive jewlery or clothes, its just a luxurious accesory.

what are you looking for exactly? have you seen the trunk lips they make for our cars? those are cool. i'd just be happy with skid skirts and bumps that were painted.

I'm looking for a replacement carpet... not floormats.. the whole carpet .. can't find them anywhere .. not even ACC