PDA

View Full Version : No one told me this would happen!!

guinness
03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
It was a bright sunny Sunday morning, when I decided to go outside and wash my "new" 1989 525. I washed it then I decided that it needed to be waxed (this was the first time i've waxed it). Well to make a long story short I got a good, up-close look at the paint for the first time, and now I have to repaint it just cause it's got some runs that are driving me nuts!!!! Will this obsession ever end??? or am I doomed?

bimmerd00d
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
welcome to the world of owning a black E34 :D Meguiars Scratch-X works, along with the 3M Swirl-Mark remover. A coat or two of those, then a good wax will clear it right up. DO NOT use circular motions when waxing, back and forth

632 Regal
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
they have wet sandpaper in 1000 and 1200 grit you gould use to lightly sand the runs out, then polish it as Bimmerdood suggested.

pundit
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
they have wet sandpaper in 1000 and 1200 grit you gould use to lightly sand the runs out, then polish it as Bimmerdood suggested.
Be careful if it has been clearcoated over metallic black. Don't rub through the clearcoat.

emw525E34
03-21-2005, 09:51 PM
I had the same thing with my 95 Touring. Also, I have small dents all over the place that was not obvious until the car is cleanly washed and waxed. So what to do?.

Step 1: Get those dents done, at a Dentless repair place. Actually I was told the people can remove them perfectly that you cannot see where it originally was !.

Step 2: Get it professionally detailed with Mcguaires stuff. A friend owned such a shop, so that step was already arranged for me. They will sand off some parts of the paint and somehow "restore" it clear lustre.

liquidtiger720
03-22-2005, 03:57 AM
www.autopia.org is your friend

i use www.poorboysworld.com products, along with Klasse, and a bunch of others.

My paint correction process is:
wash with meg's gold class shampoo
clay with pinnicle poly clay w/ mothers showtime quick detail as lube
polish with 3mfi2 or poorboys ssr2.5
polish with klasse AIO or poorboys ssr 1
polish with klasse AIO if used ssr1
wax with klasse SG x 3 layers in 3 days
was with mothers pure carnauba or pinnicle paste glaz however many times i feel like it.
i used stoners invisible glass on windows
megiuars high endurance or wolfgang black diamond tire dressing
poorboys natural look for vinyl rubber cleaning/dressing
poorboys spray and gloss if I am too lazy to wax

woolite mix or wolfgang carpet cleaner for carpets, extracted with a shop vac.

there is a whole bunch of stuff i am missing, but thats the jist of it.
all polishing is done with a pc random orbital.

runs? do you mean orange peel? bimmers are notrious for it.

Paul in NZ
03-22-2005, 04:49 AM
the other guys just cant say it

YOU ARE DOOMED!
like the rest of us!

Jose
03-22-2005, 05:21 AM
You're not doomed at all. Before having it sprayed all over, try using wet sanding paper not lower than 2500. Use very large amounts of water and a rubber sanding block for the flat surfaces. Roundings in the bodywork should be done by hand. Sand the car in smal slow circular motions( do not apply force, it's more delicate then Naomi ) until you reach a whitish finish of your top coat. You can check occasionally why whipping it dry between sanding. Be carefull not to go through the top coat( the white mat finish will disappear and the black paint will start to show !!!!) After having sanded the whole car up to a mat white finish, polish the car with a machine at low rpm with a low cut polish ( 3M is the best there is for this job, blue cap ) If done right you will see the shine coming back, after this use the M red cap at high RPM to finish the job. I use this process with every car I paint. It looks like a mirror afterwards.Just a good job in the spit and shine section.