PDA

View Full Version : Gas cap difficult to remove (m):

Beachcomber
02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Wife called me and said it was nearly impossible to remove the gas cap off of our 1994 530.

She said it twisted fine, but that she had a difficult time actually pulling it off, and when it did come off, it made a whoosh (suction?) sound.

I thought it was wierd that she could *twist* the cap just fine, but not remove it.

Is it possible that there was enough vacuum in the system to make removing the gas cap difficult? WHat would cause this vacuum? We've never experienced this before.

Thanks for any and all input.

632 Regal
02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
just like pulling a cork out of a bottle, I seem to have a slight vacuum when I pull mine off too but not to the degree of dificulty that your wife describes. Maybe a combonition of the slight vacuum and the gasket being dirty/sticky is what she experienced. Practice practice practice, maybe you should build some sort of exersize system to build her hand strength?

:D

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 08:09 PM
You can actually build so much vacum in the tank that it collapses.
I've seen it more than once.. I would check that valve to make sure its not stuck open.

Wife called me and said it was nearly impossible to remove the gas cap off of our 1994 530.

She said it twisted fine, but that she had a difficult time actually pulling it off, and when it did come off, it made a whoosh (suction?) sound.

I thought it was wierd that she could *twist* the cap just fine, but not remove it.

Is it possible that there was enough vacuum in the system to make removing the gas cap difficult? WHat would cause this vacuum? We've never experienced this before.

Thanks for any and all input.

winfred
02-19-2004, 08:15 PM
had one e34 come in with the tank sucked completly flat, a mud dauber built a nest in the venting system

632 Regal
02-19-2004, 08:57 PM
n

t