PDA

View Full Version : Help!. 95 Touring : Fogs, not detected ?!

emw525E34
03-20-2005, 10:30 PM
My 95 Touring did not come with Fog lights as standard, so I got aftermarket small projector fogs and mounted them on the slot of the black plastic tow-hook covers. Had to cut the slits off the plastic with small saw.

When I wired it up, instrument panel still still say "F/FOG Lights" and it would not work!. What gives ?. I used the wiring that was there, the fogs work correctly when connected to a 12V battery. The dash fog switch, show the lit icon on the instrument panel when switched. So it appears the switch is wired.

Fuses 3 and 7 are installed and function OK. Is it the bulb of the fog it does not like ?. If so, what bulb will work ?. I think my aftermarket fog comes with H7 bulb?.

PS: On my sedan (E34 89 US model), a similar set of aftermarket fog WORKS well!. Maybe I should switch the bulbs to test the idea?. Have I missed anything more ?.
:(

Don McAdams
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
My 95 Touring did not come with Fog lights as standard, so I got aftermarket small projector fogs and mounted them on the slot of the black plastic tow-hook covers. Had to cut the slits off the plastic with small saw.

When I wired it up, instrument panel still still say "F/FOG Lights" and it would not work!. What gives ?. I used the wiring that was there, the fogs work correctly when connected to a 12V battery. The dash fog switch, show the lit icon on the instrument panel when switched. So it appears the switch is wired.

Fuses 3 and 7 are installed and function OK. Is it the bulb of the fog it does not like ?. If so, what bulb will work ?. I think my aftermarket fog comes with H7 bulb?.

PS: On my sedan (E34 89 US model), a similar set of aftermarket fog WORKS well!. Maybe I should switch the bulbs to test the idea?. Have I missed anything more ?.
:(

Not sure if it matters/ helps or not, but my '95 has H1's (think all 95's did?). Were the fogs pre-wired? Did they plug right in (any wiring modifications, etc?) Did you check to see if you had power @ each fog wiring?

Good Luck~

emw525E34
03-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks Don,

It may help. My bulb were H4 in these project fogs. I need to check if my other fogs were H1 and I think they might be. Could the computer be that smart to detect non-H1s and not activate ?. Hm... that would be real clever of bmw!.

Were the fog pre-wired ?. It appears so, the wires terminate with a connector that is covered by a dummy blank cover which I removed. These are female plugs that is just under the washer bottle on the passenger side. Can see below the car and reach rather easily. On the driver-side they were just below the PS reservior. A bitch to reach as space is tight there. Only managed to put one hand there and tried plugging "make-shift" connectors from my DIY wiring. I am not sure of +/- connection matters. Tried both polarities to no avail. I am awaiting the correct connectors from the stealer. They are on order surprisingly for small stuff.

The H1 might be it cos an E39 person said to me that if the computer did not see the right bulb it will not work!. Will try this. But meantime, I could use a DVM and check the passenger side to see if there is any power when fog switch is on. Silly me. Should have done that while the car was up on ramps.

Can you point me to the Relay that controls this ?. Those masturd cubes in the fuse box ?. Which one ?. There are 3 of them, I think.