PDA

View Full Version : My baby got keyed right down to the metal...

Dan in NZ
03-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Ouch! I guess that's what you get for living in a student flat right near a campus of 18,000 students, and not having any off street parking... I knew something like this would happen sooner or later, but was hoping it wouldn't occur only 4 weeks into the varsity year!

The scratch is on the passengers door, about halfway between the handle and the window, and is about 15cm long. It continues faintly all the way back to the tailight, but that part is only in the paint. Going into the panelbeaters tomorrow for a quick sand and re-spray, just so that it doesn't RUST.

Javier
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM

Kalevera
03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
That sucks, dude. People can suck sometimes. How much're they going to charge you for a sand and respray? Is there a crease or did you get lucky?

I'm gearing up to do some body work. First item on the ledger is to pick up a Simoniz Popsadent and see how that sucka works. I'm thinking it'll pull a few of them. I'm going to leave the really tough stuff (dents along panel creases and the really nasty one on one rear quarter panel) to the professional, but I think I can probably handle the little ones.

All of this after I leatherique my interior...which was supposed to start today, but I've got to use the car tomorrow, so it'll have to wait until after then.

best, whit

emw525E34
03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Dan,

Its hard to believe Kiwi students did this!. Dunedin people are generally very friendly. Must to some street rascal who thinks your BMW is some expensive car rather than a numble E34.

Hate it when losers to things like this. If I see some guy doing this to my car, I will shove that key up his other end so high, he would not seat for a week!. (That , after I break a couple of fingers for good measure...)

Hope you get that fixed.

2fast
03-20-2005, 10:48 PM
I hate wanker's like that.

Sleep with one eye open or in the car.

How did your light's turn out like?(inside) I had a look at the site and was thinking of getting some blue ones.

Dan in NZ
03-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah... Coincidentally another friends parents were down, and somebody keyed their 1999 Range Rover the weekend before. Drinking is a huge thing to do here, especially the first few weeks of the university year. On some of the most infamous streets (like mine) it's not uncommon to see a whole row of cars with hubcaps missing, or wipers lifted up, mirrors ripped off. The police usually just turn a blind eye to "student pranks" like that.

Luckily the scratch is just in the paint, so all it needs is a quick sand and re-spray. I'm getting a cash deal from a very good paint shop, $100 to paint the door and blend in the rear quarter panel.

2fast. The lights look ok... Not as good as I was hoping. It's important to order the 45mm bulbs, not the 30mm ones that fit 99% of cars. I didn't check the size first and had to exchange them. I thought they would be like the high quality super-bright white LED's, but they actually look a bit purple, and aren't as bright as the original bulbs. I was hoping to light up a few city blocks when I opened the door, but no luck... Blue could be alright, and the guy is quite reasnoble so will refund the bulbs if you decide you don't like them.

Will post a picture of the scratch if the rain stops.

Paul in NZ
03-21-2005, 03:34 AM
sh*t,sorry Dan,its something i dread too...Its silly but i dont take my car into town at night if i can avoid it.....

Voodoo
03-22-2005, 07:18 AM
LANCE
Still got your Malibu?
VINCENT
You know what some ****er did to it
the other day?
LANCE
What?
VINCENT
****in' keyed it.
LANCE