PDA

View Full Version : I need help waking up an e34

DOB E34
03-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a 1992 525i 5 speed sitting in the garage for 3 years. The time has come to get it back on the road. I appreciate any advice you guys can give.

The problems:

Gave her an oil change about a year ago then tried to start her. She turned over but a tensioner pulley popped off, must of dry rotted. I see the part out there for $70 for the whole assembly. Once I fix this, I can work on getting her started again, so this is first.
Obviously restarting her should not be done before a nice tune up. I've been told that the motor is solid and should have no problem waking up. "Marvel Mystery Oil" was suggested, mixed in with the regular oil and gas to get her started then another oil change. Any suggestions on starting after so long?
I had a coolant leak a week before I took the car off the road. It only happens when driving and there is no smoke coming out the back and no mess under the hood. I think it is the reservoir or a tube attached to it. Any thoughts? I will do more recon on this once its started again.
Right side parking lights don't work. This includes the taillight but not the brake. This got me pulled over alot. I did research on the problem. I think its the LCM which costs about $200. If there might be any other way please let me know.
I hit a nasty NYC pothole one night and my instrument cluster went dark. The gauges work but not the light. I took it out checked the bulbs and connections, look good to me. At first it was interment then completely dark. Got me stumped.

I appreciate all the help you guys can give. I love this car and it breaks my heart to see it sit so long. Thanks

Phil Sanderson
03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
...from your post you said the car is a 525i MT, does this mean manual Touring? If so, some of the "Touring" guys here may be able to help you with any broken wire issues common to the Touring rear end similar maybe to the "broken wires on the trunk hinge" on the sedan. It could even be blown fuses.

What I would do as far as getting it going again after 3 years - first fix that pulley as you said, and replace all of the belts, turn alternator, water pump etc by hand to see that they havn't seized.
Check all rubber things for rotting.
Replace fuel filter.
Remove valve cover and manually lubricate top end (cam etc)
Refit valve cover with new gasket.
Replace spark plugs.
Change oil and filter.
Change Air Filter?
I would try to hand crank the engine a few times (if this is possible) to get a bit of oil circulation and lubrication going.

Generally you need to be certain that none of the moving parts have seized up over time before you try to start it - if so fix or replace. Rust on moving parts and rotted rubber/plastic would be worth looking for.

As far as the instrument panel is concerned, it sounds like loose connections to me. Remove the instrument cluster and at least replace the 2 or 3 main bulbs before refitting, making sure that the wiring connectors are seated properly.

The coolent leak will need to be addressed and now would be a good time to look for any crusty bits (coolant) around the water pump, radiator, hoses etc., which would be an indication of a leak. Having the system pressure tested should identify any leaks - but after you have the car running. One thing that could seize up over a long time is that secondary heater pump thingy (that part right beside the fuse box in the engine bay- just a thought).

my few cents worth...

regards
Phil

winfred
03-20-2005, 06:07 PM
after 3 years some of the fuel injectors may stick, you can usually get them unstuck, if the motor will start and run on a few cylinders then while it's running wack on the dead injector/s, i use a long screwdriver to rap on it, if it needs more help hold the tip about a 1/2" from the metal part of the injector and hit the end of the screwdriver with a hammer. more help, engine off power up the injector off of the battery pulsing the power and wacking the metal part. some atf in the fuel tank will help clear them out, some atf down the plug holes and spin the motor with the plugs out to spread it around won't hurt ether

bahnstormer
03-20-2005, 06:37 PM
how's the battery?

DOB E34
03-21-2005, 01:04 PM
how's the battery?
The car only has 55,000 miles on it so everything is pretty fresh, aside from storage. The battery is dead of course but i think it can be brought back to life, if not there are plenty of used parts dealers in my town. One specilaizes in just BMW parts so i will become friends with them.

DOB E34
03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
...from your post you said the car is a 525i MT, does this mean manual Touring? If so, some of the "Touring" guys here may be able to help you with any broken wire issues common to the Touring rear end similar maybe to the "broken wires on the trunk hinge" on the sedan. It could even be blown fuses....

my few cents worth...

regards
Phil

MT = 5 speed

I appreciate your few cents. I am going to need all the tips i can get. I'm leaning heavily towards pulling of the head. I figure i can take car of a few things with the head off.
check and clean out the cylinders
clean the intake manifold maybe even port polish a little
adjust the valves and clean out the head
relplace all the main gaskets and bolts

I also plan on dropping the oil pan and giving that a good cleaning too. This is also a good time for me to check the water pump for that rubber impeller problem that haunts these cars and replace if needed. I am just scared of the rings gone bad and having to pull the engine out of the car - i think that would be too much for me.

Thanks again for the cents Phil i need all the cents i can get.

632 Regal
03-21-2005, 03:06 PM
fix belt, drain fuel, replace fuel filter, change oil to mobil one 0w-40, new battery, start car. see how she runs and go from there.

DOB E34
03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
no other advice? I know there is more help out there.

632 Regal
03-26-2005, 02:17 PM
what do you want?

winfred
03-26-2005, 08:25 PM
everybody to show up with tools pizza and beer? maybe some pussy too

what do you want?

DOB E34
04-02-2005, 03:52 PM
everybody to show up with tools pizza and beer? maybe some pussy too
**** now you're talking, i'm in NY need directions?

pmlmotorsports
04-02-2005, 06:19 PM
hey DOB, where in New Yrok are ya? Which BMW ONLY used parts store are you refering to? If ya need a hand drop me a line.