PDA

View Full Version : 91 BMW 535i E34... should I buy?

akeefer
03-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Hello all,

A family friend of mine has a nice black '91 535i he would sell to me. He has had it for a long while and hasn't had any problems with it. Recently though, he said when it gets to 50MPH the front end wobbles. He took it to his mechanic and he said that it looks like the control arms or something looked like they needed to be rebuilt. Does this sound right? How much would this cost to get done? Is it something that could be replaced or just rebuilt? Is there something I could do myself or what? I'd really like to know, cause he's just going to give me the car for $1k if I want to try to fix it. Oh by the way, it's the 5 speed. Black on black leather. Mmmm. New tires too. Is it worth it? How much should I expect in repairing it?

Thanks!
Aaron

Kalevera
03-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Hell....I would buy it in a minute if it hasn't been neglected.

You can do the thrust and control arms for less than $450 in parts from BMA (www.bmaparts.com). Talk to Patrick. Get Lemforder and make sure you get 750 bushings on the thrust arms (or M5 bushings are even better, but you'll have to press out the 750 bushing and press in the m5's, which can be tough for a DIY mechanic). I would personally do it myself, have done it myself, and recommend that people do it themselves. There are tons of writeups on the process.

EDIT: You'll probably also want to rebuild the rest of the suspension and steering while you're in there, throw in a set of sport springs and struts....all of which can be done, but will cost more dinero.

Also, if you get the car, get a Bentley manual. It's the best $50 you'll ever spend on the car.

If you don't buy it, give me this guy's number :)

best, whit

Paul in NZ
03-20-2005, 02:26 AM
1000 dollars!!!Is it worth it???/sob..Theses cars were once the best(thats right the best)sedan bar none in the world......The thrust arms or upper control arms (or actually the bushings) are a routine replacement in this car.You can do it your self and if look you at BMW e34 . net (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm) there is alink too (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/upper_arm.htm) or search this forum and i am sure will find any number of how toos.A 535 black on black 5 spd in nice cond for 1000!.They are an awesome car but they take time and effort or money to keep running nicelyIf youkeep em maintained thry will go for ever!