PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on replacing the steering box

infinity5
03-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Does brunos write up on removing the box apply to the m60 engine without modification? it seems like it would be a whole lot easier and simpler just to drop the front crossmember.

i just took a look under the car and i honestly can't see how it can physically come out from under the engine.

tomorrow i'll take a look at it in better light and maybe i'll understand what he's trying to say.

has anyone here actaully done this? i'll take pictures if i do.

Kalevera
03-20-2005, 02:17 AM
wow...is yours gone after only 115k?!

infinity5
03-20-2005, 02:52 PM
well its leaking profusely, the slack is pretty bad, and the steering feels awfully heavy. the top nut on my engine is so difficult to reach i might as well take the box out, especailly considering how badly its leaking. on top of all that most of my steering linkage probably could use replacing as it's all original.

I found a company that provides rebuilt units with a life time warranty for 200someting. thats a pretty good deal... did i also mention all my hoses were leaking? yeah i'd just be easier to take the thing out... i'd consider rebuilding it but i doubt that would fix the slack and it would only buy me time. And i can't find any information on the rebuild.

i can do the engine mounts at the same time too. and then there an oil hose down there i could get too easier with all this stuff off.