PDA

View Full Version : One of those days

Scott C
03-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Did you ever have one of those days that you can't to be over?

Started last week with noise coming from the engine (525) that sounded clearly like a bearing (and only sqeaky at idle). Okay, take off the main belt, feel the parts with bearings, looks like alternator front bearing is sloppy so time to replace since it is 10 years old. Get new one from autozone and install. Oh yea, they don't put the correct blind nut on the bottom, just a bushing. Of course I find this out after it was wired and I was tightening....

All looks good, a little less bearing noise, but still some there. Okay try one more time. Water pump (1.5 year old) is also wobbly and so I replace it. Even less noise now but still some. Okay, the tensioner looks like crap - replace it. Did I mention that I made 3 trips today to the dealer/etc. On the way, brake light circuit shows up in cluster. Oh joy, might as well get a new switch since I have read they go bad.

Get home, put the tensioner in, adjust the belts, and get ready to bleed the system. Car starts right up, I pull out and go up the road. About .5 mile away the ASC light comes on - oh joy. Pull over, stop the car to hopefully reset since the battery had been disconnected. Now car won't start. Double check battery (it was tight). Walk home and charge spare battery as it looks like new alternator is not doing its job. Will get voltmeter and ammeter on but have never had this much grief in one day. Oh yea, the power steering pump seems to be the one the worst bearing noise.

I want to go to bed and have my car in the garage and back to normal when I wake up. Does anybody have a genie I can borrow for a wish?

Sigh,
Scott

Scott C
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
DOA alternator - yes I am so happy, get to take it out yet again
:(

Did you ever have one of those days that you can't to be over?

Started last week with noise coming from the engine (525) that sounded clearly like a bearing (and only sqeaky at idle). Okay, take off the main belt, feel the parts with bearings, looks like alternator front bearing is sloppy so time to replace since it is 10 years old. Get new one from autozone and install.

Dave M
03-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Wow, don't know where to start except to say.... Wow, that sucks. Look at it this way, at least you'll get it all done at the same time and the 5er should be good for a while. Reminded me of a trip across Canada shortly after buying the e34. It was -30 degree weather and I flated one of the winters at 1:00 am on a very quiet stretch of the Yellowhead HW in Sask. No problem, I know the jack etc. works, just try and stay warm. Brand new labrador puppy with me so I tie him to the tool box on the shoulder for some fresh air and I get to work. This is when I discover the PO had used wheel nut locks on the winters and I, of course, don't have the key. Who does that??? I always travel with a dremel tool and a power converter, so for an hour I held a flashlight in my mouth and awkwardly dremeled away at the wheel nut with a very worm cutting wheel until I could hammer it off. What a PITA. Half way through I look up to see the pup dragging the 30lb toolbox down the icey highway. $hit.

I don't complain too much about little breakdowns when they occur near amenities.

Good Luck,

Dave M

winfred
03-19-2005, 08:12 PM
more people then you could ever think, i get tons of cars with bent torn up steel rims and bald tires on them and ****ing locking lugs, you know, the kind of **** you'd need to pay to have hauled away, my favorite is they only have the key in the car half of the time

This is when I discover the PO had used wheel nut locks on the winters and I, of course, don't have the key. Who does that???

Scott C
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Egad - I can't imagine having to use a dremel on the road - let me guess, the flat was on the drivers side? Cause that would put you close to traffic and things just work that way? :)

I agree about getting it all fixed now as I intend to keep this car a long time (at least 5 more years), I wanted to get all the electrical/pumps (new) and silent and since they were 10 years old - it was time. I am looking at the power steering pump situation (it is noisier than it should be) and think a rebuild kit would be a good thing (if it exists). Not sure how many have done this - going to search tonight.

It just really bit the big wazoo in getting that $200 alternator installed (twice) and finding that it would not work due to a bad diode set. Got a refund but now must wait till Monday for a replacement part - and I will have them bench check it before I put it in. I really do enjoy driving this car.

Wow, don't know where to start except to say.... Wow, that sucks. Look at it this way, at least you'll get it all done at the same time and the 5er should be good for a while. Reminded me of a trip across Canada shortly after buying the e34. It was -30 degree weather and I flated one of the winters at 1:00 am on a very quiet stretch of the Yellowhead HW in Sask. No problem, I know the jack etc. works, just try and stay warm. Brand new labrador puppy with me so I tie him to the tool box on the shoulder for some fresh air and I get to work. This is when I discover the PO had used wheel nut locks on the winters and I, of course, don't have the key. Who does that??? I always travel with a dremel tool and a power converter, so for an hour I held a flashlight in my mouth and awkwardly dremeled away at the wheel nut with a very worm cutting wheel until I could hammer it off. What a PITA. Half way through I look up to see the pup dragging the 30lb toolbox down the icey highway. $hit.

I don't complain too much about little breakdowns when they occur near amenities.

Good Luck,

Dave M

632 Regal
03-19-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember autozone to be famous for DOA alternators and starters, the price is cheap so you try. I would rather get a good one and do it once even though money is a priority right now, have to figure in pain and suffering with that crap. Who the hell sells crap thats doa and not check them before a sale when they know at least 20% are DOA? I put a front half shaft in my GMC 4WD once, pulling out the driveway it popped and wham, I couldnt even go back to through it through their window. The CV joint looked worse than the original that busted.

Scott C
03-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Whats worse is that the part had a label that said "tested and passed". I am going to parts america and if that doesn't work then .....

I remember autozone to be famous for DOA alternators and starters, the price is cheap so you try. I would rather get a good one and do it once even though money is a priority right now, have to figure in pain and suffering with that crap. Who the hell sells crap thats doa and not check them before a sale when they know at least 20% are DOA? I put a front half shaft in my GMC 4WD once, pulling out the driveway it popped and wham, I couldnt even go back to through it through their window. The CV joint looked worse than the original that busted.

niall
03-19-2005, 10:51 PM

Good Luck,

Dave M

lol im loving your story Dave,
i cant belive you "dremmeled" a wheel nut
good on ya fella

632 Regal
03-19-2005, 10:55 PM
it's all about big conglomerates and cost control, they dont bring it into question as they have a contract with the cheapest place that will rebuild them and mark it up big time. Usually them slam bam shops only replace whats wrong, at that time. Brushes bad, replace brushes dont even go to look at bearings cause its a per part cost that keeps them cheap. bad bearing dont even look at brushes...etc. My alternater being on a V8 looks to be a bastard case to do, I wouldnt even question cost so that I dont do it twice. I wouldnt pay double or anything but would deal with a personable place that talks to you on an honest level for a decent part. Hard to find at times though.

Scott C
03-20-2005, 07:53 AM
it's all about big conglomerates and cost control, they dont bring it into question as they have a contract with the cheapest place that will rebuild them and mark it up big time. Usually them slam bam shops only replace whats wrong, at that time. Brushes bad, replace brushes dont even go to look at bearings cause its a per part cost that keeps them cheap. bad bearing dont even look at brushes...etc. My alternater being on a V8 looks to be a bastard case to do, I wouldnt even question cost so that I dont do it twice. I wouldnt pay double or anything but would deal with a personable place that talks to you on an honest level for a decent part. Hard to find at times though.

Well AutoZone put it on the tester and sure enough, it was "under voltage" and could only handle 140A for about 10 sec before the tester indicated a failed diode. They did give me money back.
Scott

Javier
03-20-2005, 08:15 AM
alternators. I would prefer to get my unit, open and clean it, replace bearings and brushes, and put it back.

Have never had to do it in my BMW, but have already done to a lot of Delco's.

Is it just because remanufactured are very cheap, then should also be cheap parts inside.

Javier

Scott C
03-20-2005, 10:08 AM
alternators. I would prefer to get my unit, open and clean it, replace bearings and brushes, and put it back.

Have never had to do it in my BMW, but have already done to a lot of Delco's.

Is it just because remanufactured are very cheap, then should also be cheap parts inside.

Javier

You are right, in the past 20 years, we have lost the mom and pop type shops that used to rebuild these units. In my case, the alternator worked fine, only the output bearing was in need of replacement. Would have taken a couple hours at best assuming I could get the parts. Funny, I can get parts and rebuild a Ford starter from 1955 (I use it as a winch for my model sailplanes), but not these newer ones.

Scott