PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Purchase of 91 535ia

MotoMan
03-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope all is going well.

I have been offered a 91 535 slushbox for R17000,00 South african Rands - equates to about $2850.00 USD.

The vehicle has definately had paint all round but no majour accidents, seems more like small bumper bashings ect. The vehicle is before remote entry and is an auto, has 250000 km's on it and seems fairly ok inside. I have unfortunately not had a chance to take it for a run yet...will on tues next week and also be able to do compression tests and have it up on a lift to check it out thoughly.

Any comments or suggestions ? I currectly have a 94 525 manual and think it's awsome. just do not want to get caught napping with this one.

Appreciate all the suggesions,

Ciao
Victor

Mr. BILL
03-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a fair deal to me.

MotoMan
03-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Thanks for the advice Mr Bill. I know the car has a few dents and so, but i am thinking it may be a project in the making. I now have an excuse to "upgrade" the various items as i will give my wife the newer 525.

What is your opinion on the slushbox ??? Is this a bad idea ? Should i go and look for a manual or take this "chance"

Thanks again for the advice

Javier
03-19-2005, 11:02 AM
enough to be automatic. I live in a crowded city, so traffic would have killed me long ago if my car were to be manual.

For sport driving, and enjoying, yes I'm sure a manual would be even greater, but need the car for family transportation.

Javier

MotoMan
03-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the input javier. I know it's real powerful. I am looking at possibly turboing the car in the near future and was wondering if the auto would then be a prob. I am also concerned about the well being or life span of the auto boxes. I have seen too many that give problems and it makes me nervous.

Kalevera
03-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi Victor.

I'd def. have the trans and suspension thoroughly checked out by someone *who knows* about it (maybe you?). My previous ZF lasted 220k miles (400k+ kms?), apparently without rebuild. Once it went though...it really went. $2300 USD later, I've got a ZF reman. Had I had the time, I would've converted the car to a manual right then and there, but it was an impossibility.

I think that, if the unit has had its ATF and filter changed every 15k miles, has been driven lightly, it should be fine. But the average seems to be ~130k miles for lifespan.

You already know the deal on service records....Check the cooling system, etc.

best, whit

MotoMan
03-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey there Whit,

Great, thanks. I will have the car checked out. I met the previous owner today. It was owned by him from new, but he seems like he doesn't really care. That is evident in the use of a self tapping screw to secure one of the rubber door strips. This makes me wonder what else has been "patched" up.

As a matter of interest, should i hunt for mabe a 6 speed manual and try to have it converted / just leave it be ?

U know i take great pride in my 525 and have done everything in my power to make sure that it is well maintained and looked after, seems that not all BMW drivers are such. Thanks again,

Ciao

Victor

bahnstormer
03-19-2005, 12:17 PM
i have a 90 535ia and a 91 535im
i hate the auto with such passion

however, u have to ask yourself
who will be driving the car, and
ultimatly what purpose does it
serve?

the price seems a bit high and
as a warning, the 535ia drinks
a LOT of fuel...

Kalevera
03-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi Victor.

I'm not sure where you'd be able to find a six speed for the M30. My ultimate goal for my car is to hunt down an M73/S70 and the 6 speed from an 850csi. To my knowledge, the latter is the ONLY car that came with a factory six speed that will mate to the v12. Rare as seeing Rosie O'Donnell without a doughnut in her mouth, and USD $6000+ new. The only other six speed combo that I know of is the E39 540iS' or M5's and I don't generally like the idea of putting a BMW V8 in at this point...Even then, I have to wonder if the car will "feel right".

With any kind of conversion: if you don't do it yourself, it's going to cost way more than this guy is asking for that car. If I were to convert my car to a straight 5 speed, it'd cost $4500+ to have my friends at a well known speed shop do it; I can do it myself for $1000 and enjoy the learning experience while I'm at it. So, if you really want a manual and aren't able/willing to do the work yourself, I'd recommend just buying a manual car from the get go.

best, whit