PDA

View Full Version : New to site and BMWs

KMMurda19
03-19-2005, 01:28 AM
I just recently got a 1990 BMW 525I gave to me and was wondering whats the biggest rim that can fit it, bolt pattern and offset of the rims? And was wonderin what E34 is? Know it sounds like a dumb question but I see people asking about the 525I and others will reply talkin bout E34. Thanks for ur time.

Kalevera
03-19-2005, 01:50 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net should answer most of your questions; otherwise, do a search on the forums.

Welcome!

best, whit

digitaldragon03
03-19-2005, 01:52 AM
the biggest you can get is usually 18 inch rims, but you might be able to fit bigger with adjustments,

The E34 is the name of all bmw 5 series made from 89-96. So your 525 is a E34, so is my 540. As long as its a 5 series and was made during those years, you own an E34. Other series have different numbers (E36, E38, E46, etc.)

KMMurda19
03-19-2005, 02:04 AM
the biggest you can get is usually 18 inch rims, but you might be able to fit bigger with adjustments,

The E34 is the name of all bmw 5 series made from 89-96. So your 525 is a E34, so is my 540. As long as its a 5 series and was made during those years, you own an E34. Other series have different numbers (E36, E38, E46, etc.)
Thanks for ur help guys, makes since to me now, the site is great as well, answered all my questions.

KMMurda19
03-19-2005, 02:15 AM
I just recently got a 1990 BMW 525I gave to me and was wondering whats the biggest rim that can fit it, bolt pattern and offset of the rims? And was wonderin what E34 is? Know it sounds like a dumb question but I see people asking about the 525I and others will reply talkin bout E34. Thanks for ur time.
Before i read these post i was looking at some sites and saw that discount tire center had some 20s they said would fit the 90 525i. Here is the link. anyone know if this is true? http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?yr=1990&wd=20&pc=51446&rw=8.5&bp=5-120&vid=006954

pundit
03-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Before i read these post i was looking at some sites and saw that discount tire center had some 20s they said would fit the 90 525i. Here is the link. anyone know if this is true? http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?yr=1990&wd=20&pc=51446&rw=8.5&bp=5-120&vid=006954
Yikes! 20" wheels on a E34?! Can you even fit 20" wheels on an E34? According to the site there are no compatible tyres to suit an E34 with these rims. Assuming you could, that will negatively affect both the ride and the handling unless you plan on driving everywhere on bowling greens. The lack of sidewall compliance that low profile tyres generally have improve steering response, BUT, this same lack of compliance can worsen tyre to road contact on less than ideal sufaces and also makes for a harsher ride. 18" wheels were the largest fitted to E34's and then only on the M5 version. Chrome plated wheels tend to be chrome plated first and good quality last - after all it's the 'Bling' factor people usually buy them for. I have had suggested to me that chrome plating alloy wheels actually weakens them. (Does anyone have any metallurgical/technical info on this?) Then there's the weight factor. An Asian made 20" aftermarket wheel is going to be HEAVY... more unsprung weight which means a harder job to maintain tyre to road contact over bumps. Most of the guys here recommend not going over 17" for the reasons already mentioned. Personally I think anything over 18" starts looking wrong as it causes the car to look 'overwheeled' if you get my drift. (We're not talking Rice Burner Integra's or Skylines here!). Even at 18" the ride is somewhat compromised and requires careful consideration of both quality shocks & springs - E.G Koni's etc. But at the end of the day it's your money and your car. Just get plenty of feedback before you make a decision you may regret. - Good Luck ;)

BTW I really like the M-Parallels which are 18". I can only afford replicas. I'm 'weighing' up whether or not to go down this path for the same reasons... but 20"?!!... NO WAY JOSE!

Incidently have you ever considered what profile tyres Formula One race cars use? Just have close look next time!... WHY?