PDA

View Full Version : For all those people who thought that it wouldn't work...

Jon K
03-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Well it worked. My car had a bolt and not a nut, which was a little unexpected... it was also like a 15mm... not the 19mm or 22mm, or whatever... kinda weird.

Anyway here's the result! Dropped right in... feels great... tomorrow im going to tap the harness for the button controls :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/andreak/mywheel.jpg

Sisters stock 1995 wheel....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/andreak/jonwheel.jpg

My new steering wheel... E46 Sport wheel... soon to have airbag center, and carbon fiber lower trim!

I think it matches the interior just right.

bahnstormer
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
ew carbon fiber?
dude that's like 8 different materials in your car
heheh

but i'm glad it fits and ooooo boy 3 spoke love
is hte best!

Jon K
03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
ew carbon fiber?
dude that's like 8 different materials in your car
heheh

but i'm glad it fits and ooooo boy 3 spoke love
is hte best!

Public announcement... bahnstormer has one black seat.. the rest are tan :p :D

pundit
03-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Well it worked. My car had a bolt and not a nut, which was a little unexpected... it was also like a 15mm... not the 19mm or 22mm, or whatever... kinda weird.

Anyway here's the result! Dropped right in... feels great... tomorrow im going to tap the harness for the button controls :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/andreak/mywheel.jpg

Sisters stock 1995 wheel....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/andreak/jonwheel.jpg

My new steering wheel... E46 Sport wheel... soon to have airbag center, and carbon fiber lower trim!

I think it matches the interior just right.
Looks great!. Your original wheel with the exception of the factory E34 M-Tech wheel, is much nicer than that damn ugly 'bus' wheel that BMW fitted to E34's and E36's... damn what an ugly thing. It will be interesting to see how you go rewiring the wheel controls on the new one. If everything works out I'm sure many will be interested in the upgrade. :)

digitaldragon03
03-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Dude, that is amazing. It looks great. Will all the buttons on the new wheel work with the e34? If they do, that would be pretty nifty.

Fred Tyler
03-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Nicer but would I go to all the trouble!
What r u going to do with the old one?

George M
03-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Impressive Jon. First I have seen...looks great! Did you hook the air-bag up?...any issue with the connector?...splice the new one on your old harness for continuity to the air-bag inflator? You mentioned the wheel is attached via a bolt. Does the female spline on the wheel fit line to line with the column splined shaft? What year is your E-34?...thought all columns had a nut and not a bolt holding the steering wheel on. Lastly...how are you going to tap into the wheel controls?...I don't see any but aren't they harnessed through the clockspring?
Thanks,
George

Rory
03-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Jon,

Nice job on getting it to fit. Do you have a profile pic from the side to see how it sits compared to the stock wheel?

-Rory

Jon K
03-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I will go get a profile pic, it fits ridiculously perfect

danzee
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Really sharp, Jon. I have one suggestion, though.
I have both an E34 with the lever-actuated cruise and and an E39 with the push-button cruise. I much prefer the simplicity and ease of the lever. You might want to find a way to leave both in the circuit. I wish I had the lever in the newer car.
Again, great job! The wheel really looks like it belongs there.
Dan Z

Jon K
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Really sharp, Jon. I have one suggestion, though.
I have both an E34 with the lever-actuated cruise and and an E39 with the push-button cruise. I much prefer the simplicity and ease of the lever. You might want to find a way to leave both in the circuit. I wish I had the lever in the newer car.
Again, great job! The wheel really looks like it belongs there.
Dan Z

Im going to tap it such that both methods work

danzee
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM