PDA

View Full Version : Clutch judder in 1st

tinkerscorner
03-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

I own a 93 525i sport m50. When I select first gear and start to pull away I experience lots of judder through bodywork. Selecting anyother gear is perfectly smooth. If I over rev on take up this lessens the effect, though this is not ideal.

I am thinking (hoping) its the engine/gearbox mounts as this seems a easy job but read somewhere it could be the cush springs or oil on the clutch plate. My engine has covered 190k but seems superb in everyway.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem appreciated.

JAlfredPrufrock
03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
190k on the original clutch?

GaryE
03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I used to get a similar juddering with my m50 engine, the problem seems to have dissapeared. It would only happen when I was stuck in traffic and using lots of clutch control. It would never happen from a cold engine. Second gear take-offs would cure it, yet its not always possible to do so at busy roundabouts and junctions!

Since it only occured rarely, it didn't bother me and I haven't noticed it any more. The only clutch work I've had done since is to bleed the clutch fluid, and replace with new. What came out can only be described as well past the sell by date burnt black gunk! Much like what one of my drunken fry-up's end up looking like...

DallasBill
03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Ditto... I have the same "problem" and again it is only in heavy stop & go traffic, when I am on & off it all the time -- like in creeping along in a line because of a wreck ahead.

My mechanic said it was likely because the previous owner may have slipped the clutch too much and glazed it some, and it only shows up when it gets hot from such use.

I don't worry about it.

uberhahn
03-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I have an M60 engine (530i) with a 5-speed, and also get that same shudder. However, mine doesn't seem to be clutch related. Maybe. I think my fan-clutch is off balance. I get the shudder with the clutch engaged in neutral, zero speed.

I will take the fan clutch off to see if it goes away.

uberhahn

Jose
03-18-2005, 05:21 PM
You could test your clutch for wera. Simply pull the parkbrake full up, set the car in 5th gear and slowly, without touching the throttle, lift the clutch pedal. If the clutch is in good condition the engine should show signs of wanting to shut off when the pedal is at mid travell and shut completely off when you almost reach the same heihgt as the brake pedal. If the clutch is worn, the car will not want to shut off before reaching full pedal travel up to the brake pedal levell.
If your clutch seems to be fine then check the joint between gearbox and engine below the car for engine oil, this could be the first sign of the main rear retainer leaking engine oil which could get on your clutch resulting in your clutch slipping and this resulting in 1st gear judder.