PDA

View Full Version : m20 mysterious coolant leak

Hypr5
03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I had a really hard time seeing where the coolant was leaking from. I felt around and the bottom of the tstat - waterpump hose was soaked and the drip im seeing is near that so I replaced it. It appears that that may have been at fault TOO, but not THE cause.

If you know the m20, there is a coolant pipe right in front of the fan, not a hose - and it appears that the coolant is spraying from the fan, collecting on the pipe and then dripping downward directly under the clamp of the tstat - waterpump hose.

What would make the coolant spray like that other than the waterpump? I'm tired of big jobs w/ this car!

Thanks a bunch!

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 11:42 PM
what all did you replace? The hose?

Hypr5
03-17-2005, 12:01 AM
what all did you replace? The hose?
Yes, I replaced the tstat - waterpump hose. I'm just wondering what could cause this and if it is most-likely the water pump??

Hypr5
03-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes, I replaced the tstat - waterpump hose. I'm just wondering what could cause this and if it is most-likely the water pump??
Finally got to my tools -

Removed the fan (which was spinning lopsided btw) and what do you know.. the pulley makes a bad knocking / grinding noise and it appears to be moving out toward the front of the car, and then back toward the engine about 1mm or 2mm. Is this normal? I'm assuming that this is the water pump, yes?

Could explain squeaky pulley noises that I've been having lately too. hmmmm..

Is that cause for a leak in the water pump?