PDA

View Full Version : Bleeder screw leaking, help

franks
03-16-2005, 11:15 PM
The 525i 1990 I just bought has a leaking bleeder screw on the radiator. I bought a new one with washer at the stealer, however it leaks also. I am loosing coolant after driving several miles. Anybody have any ideas? Should I go find a regular bolt and use it? Also I was told the radiator has a bolt for draining, however all I can find is a plastic blue bolt located at the bottom of the reserve tank attached to the radiator.

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
put some teflon tape on it temporarily if you need to drive it. Make sure you bleed the cooling system before driving it again cause the bleeder might have allowed an airpocket to form somewhere and it might overheat...cause a blown head gasket...other probs. DO NOT DRIVE IT IF THE TEMP NEEDLE GOES OVER HALF WAY!! shut off and drag home.

franks
03-16-2005, 11:51 PM
The needle has already made it to 3/4. You said use teflon tape on it temporarily. do I have to buy a new radiator to fix it?

darron525
03-16-2005, 11:57 PM
you can just replace the expansion tank but, if its a new car, to you I would just replace the whole radiator. www.bmaautoparts.com has the behr radiator for $199.00 which is the OEM radiator.

darron

Kalevera
03-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Personally, I would use hylomar to temporarily help seal it. Did you get the OEM bleeder screw or was it from an AutoZone type place? This is, obviously, a very simple part...it shouldn't just leak when tight in there. Is the radiator housing plastic? It may have some kind of crack in it due to age...our e34's have shitty plastic cooling systems that only make things difficult.

2fast
03-17-2005, 12:22 AM
My 89 535 bleeder screw has no seal and is all metal with a skinny point to it.
Is it only leaking from the B screw??

franks
03-17-2005, 01:28 PM
The bleeder screw on the t'stat cover looks like that. The one at the radiator is plastic. The plastic one is the only one leaking.

franks
03-17-2005, 01:32 PM
What is hylomar? I got a OEM from the stealer. Yes, the housing is plastic. I am thinking about gluing a brass nipple with a valve in the bleeder hole.

Javier
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
then the crack/dirt/damage is in the housing. Did you inspect it? May be just cleaning the seat is required, or a new radiator!

Yes draining plug is a blue (or black) screw in the bottom left of radiator.

Javier