PDA

View Full Version : 535i on ebay

kyleN20
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
i want to know what everyone thinks of this car, my friend is contemplating buying it, but i think it may be useful to get a word of advice from people who know, so please tell me what you think, and how much it ought to cost
thanks
kyle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4534261962&category=6008

JAlfredPrufrock
03-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I would pay no more than $2500 for that car.

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 08:54 PM
ummm...do not buy! read his feedack, 95% and about one out of 5 are renegged, his rating is about 70%

Astroboy
03-16-2005, 09:08 PM
i want to know what everyone thinks of this car, my friend is contemplating buying it, but i think it may be useful to get a word of advice from people who know, so please tell me what you think, and how much it ought to cost
thanks
kyle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4534261962&category=6008

I agree with Jeff. Credibility is also a MAJOR factor that should not be overlooked. His crediblity is shaky to say the least and many similar types of complaints. If you end up with the car, there could be no telling what kinds of problems are not being disclosed or ignored. Just the headaches over resolving those problems is not worth it. The amount of $$ poured into it after the fact could be in the thousands...in which case, you could have gotten something more sound and in better shape. Control the impluse to buy rubbish and have patience to look for the one that will make happy for a long time.
Just my thoughts, since you asked... :D

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
I think any decent 530-535-540 in great condition costs 10k. get the 2500 one and add in 7500, one way or another its gonna cost 10k...we should do a poll on this cause I have claimed this for about 6 months.

kyleN20
03-16-2005, 09:37 PM
i would be going to look at it with my friend first hand and to drive it before any purchas, we live somewhat close, anything to look for? hes not looking for some 10 grand e34, hes looking for a deal

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-16-2005, 09:55 PM
So I would really look over the body, door pilars and suspension for any signs of major repair work.

"salvage" on the title usually means that at one point it was cheaper to "write the car off" as an insurance claim than repair it.

Good luck

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 09:59 PM
and no real detailed discription.

KingSix
03-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Just looking at the cars interior shows it has been neglected...be afraid, be very afraid .. as for 10k ?? I disagree, Even Kelly Blue Book lists these cars @ $8500 (on the high end of the scale). I searched high and low for an e34, be it a 525 or 535 ... I finally found a 525 in New York for very short money... right before I was ready to leave (I had the plane ticket in my hand) I found a 1992 535i about 3 miles from my house.. the dealer was ready to deal and I had cash in my pocket.Money talks B.S. walks, very true words indeed. I got it for a very good price ...No odd noises, no issues , no problems so far other than a burnt out CMHSL, which cost me all of a 1.39 to replace at Pep Boys .The point is, good deals are out there , just be patient ....

winfred
03-16-2005, 11:08 PM
salvaged title just means that the insurance company has taken over the car at one point and doesn't automaticly mean that the car is a rolling pile of ****, i've seen many clear cars that have been pieced back together and quite dangerious

"salvage" on the title usually means that at one point it was cheaper to "write the car off" as an insurance claim than repair it.

Good luck

632 Regal
03-16-2005, 11:22 PM
im saying that even with the highest blue book value to get one of these cars up to excellent condition one way or another is gonna run 10k. get the 8500 KBB car, add tires, replace a rim, get the thrust arms done, fix the back window, the hesitation etc...do you follow where Im coming from? I definetly think theres a diamond in the rough but on average theres a price to pay to get it like that. this car might be the deal of the century but with NO detail, NO service records, NO radio, NO OBC, missin a wheel etc theres questions that I feel need to be looked at before an impulse buy. Do you think this dude will let you take it to an independent service place for an inspection? I doubt it so you will have to assume he tells you the truth, when in reality he sells whatever he can get for quick cash. It could be a good deal but then again add in a radio, an OBC and the work to hook it up, add that in and what are you looking at? I saw people get the cheapies and do nothing but give BMW a bad name because of "their" choice. I dont want to see someone with hopes get into a hopeless situation... whatever...616 area might be kinda close to here too, might want to check it out with you if you want.

KingSix
03-16-2005, 11:46 PM
im saying that even with the highest blue book value to get one of these cars up to excellent condition one way or another is gonna run 10k. get the 8500 KBB car, add tires, replace a rim, get the thrust arms done, fix the back window, the hesitation etc...do you follow where Im coming from? I definetly think theres a diamond in the rough but on average theres a price to pay to get it like that. this car might be the deal of the century but with NO detail, NO service records, NO radio, NO OBC, missin a wheel etc theres questions that I feel need to be looked at before an impulse buy. Do you think this dude will let you take it to an independent service place for an inspection? I doubt it so you will have to assume he tells you the truth, when in reality he sells whatever he can get for quick cash. It could be a good deal but then again add in a radio, an OBC and the work to hook it up, add that in and what are you looking at? I saw people get the cheapies and do nothing but give BMW a bad name because of "their" choice. I dont want to see someone with hopes get into a hopeless situation... whatever...616 area might be kinda close to here too, might want to check it out with you if you want.

I hear ya...and thats what sold me on my 535.. was that the dealer I went to had no problem with me taking the car for a day( or however long I needed) and take it to any place I wanted to have a courtesy inspection done... well I took him up on that offer and the mech informed me that i was getting a great deal...Just to let you know I paid $4500 for my car and it was worth at least 3K more than that...like I said money talks BS walks.In fact he was interested in the car if I changed my mind ..While I understand your point I don't get into a new(or used) car thinking about all the things that will eventually have to be replaced.. any car will need things eventually... I guess we all have different ways of looking at things .......

Kalevera
03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
As someone who bought a car that is, in some ways, in much worse condition than this one on eBay, albeit for less money, I can't stress how much I agree with Bidoli on this one.

I've spent the $6k, and after the paint job and dent removal (ie - to make it presentable), it might be around $10k. Make sure you check everything when you go to look at it - valves, trans condition, cooling system, brakes, suspension bushings. My car was heavily neglected and I've basically rebuilt all major systems on it besides the engine itself. Just make sure you internalize the facts that A) this car is a theft recovery, and B) at 160k, without service records, there's a lot that's ready to go bad, especially after, potentially, 15 years of michigan winters and roads. I unfortunately (in terms of finding a financially good deal) got caught on the wrong, very wrong end of the stick. But it's been a great learning experience.

I agree that good deals can be found. But don't buy that ******** about how the car was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on sundays, especially if it's a 5 speed red on black. Let's face it: we drive old sport luxury cars, and chances are, they were handed down by Daddy Moneybags to some snotty nosed progeny who beat the hell out of it for a few years. I buy what I see, and I wouldn't spend more than $1000 on that car given what they tell us about it in the auction.

best, whit

pundit
03-17-2005, 01:53 AM
thanks
kyle
When I decided to buy an E34 I looked at two options. Buy something cheap and questionable and windup spending $$$ turd polishing or look for a decent car with a verifiable history and service records. I chose to do the latter.

In Australia the median range for a worthwhile 535i is in the vicinity of around $12,000 to $16,000. (about $9,600.00 USD to $12,800.00 USD)
You can pay as little as $8k (most likely a shitbox) or as much a $20k (way overpriced). The seller wanted $17,999.00. I wound up paying $14,500. But only after thoroughly inspecting it and working out the cost of any work. It had all books and the condition of the vehicle matched the service records.

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~rowmat/BMW/books.jpg

http://clients.net2000.com.au/~rowmat/BMW/service_book.jpg

A bargain is no bargain even if it comes for free but turns out to be a money pit. Cars like BMW's and other's of their ilk can, literally, cost marriages if you aren't careful. The bottom line is, is your friend seriously considering this car at $2,500.00 because he can't afford something most likely better, or does he like the idea of spending every weekend and all his spare cash what is quite likely to be a black hole?

"...hes not looking for some 10 grand e34, hes looking for a deal..."

Yeah that's right. A 'deal' will most likely cost him 10 grand in the long run anyway. Jeff is spot on when he says that an E34 will cost you around $10k in the first 2 or 3 years. You either pay the majority of the ten grand up front when you buy a decent car or buy cheap and spend the ten g's over the next two years trying to keep it alive. Listen to what these guys are telling you, they have been down this path. I've found, as have many other's, that E34's are truly great cars...when in good condition and correctly maintained. I've learnt my lesson trying to make a 'Silk purse out of a sow's ear!'

Your friend would be wise to invest the time to look around and get a feel for what's a good buy. I spent over six months looking before I bought mine - Good Luck! ;)

BTW - How's your $4000.00 E34 going? ;)

Mitch90535im
03-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I would spend my $2500 on a Honda long before buying this POS.

Beemr750
03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
I would spend my $2500 on a Honda long before buying this POS.

Appropos Honda.Lets face it any car at this price, not just Hondas, you buy first of all is old and has high mileage.And that means to have reliable and decent wheels IT WILL COST you at least double of your initial investment.Hondas have a tendency to come apart after 150k miles,like most rice burners.And they are not all that cheap to maintain-but then again what is.

It depends a lot what disposition and requirements you expect of what you want to be seen in and enjoy the ride.After all it's your money to fullfill your expectations.I would say!!

callen
03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
It's always a crapshoot when you buy a used car....with 90K miles for $10K or 160k miles for $2K. If the car is in your freinds budget...and you can actually go look at it to make sure it engine runs fine (no knocking, smoking) and trans. shifts I'd say buy it. My 535i now has 248k miles and runs perfect...my 735il that I bought really cheap and had to put some money into same thing. Nice car 3 nice rims..interior looks good with exception to Center dash....go for it. Course deal breaker is your freind must do his own mechanicing....if not buy a Toyota or Honda.

Callen

bahnstormer
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
don't buy it. its auto =[

best for a parts car...

632 Regal
03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I'll bet the trans is in limp mode when you get there. Really listen and feel the transmission if it does work, thats about the most expensive repair besides the engine.

632 Regal
03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
this guy sells at this site too, I didnt research for feedback yet.

http://www.historyofcars-a.com/items/4520684852.html

pop his number into google.